The Virginia Wesleyan College Office of Community Service opened its doors in 1997 with funds provided by the Birdsong Community Service Endowment, established in 1995. Its mission is to engage students in meaningful service and learning experiences that meet real community needs and provide opportunity to reflect on personal development and the connection between the classroom and the community.
The office staff fulfills this mission by:
- offering a clearinghouse service to connect interested students with community needs;
- supporting the start-up and continuation of student-led service programs with training and resources; and
- serving as a resource for the development of service-learning across the curriculum.
Virginia Wesleyan College is:
- 2007 Volunteer Hampton Roads Achievement Award Winner
- a College of Promise, Pulling Our Weight for America's Youth, a member of Break Away - The Alternative Break Connection
- proud sponsor of the VWC Circle K Club - The 2001 VOLUNTEER Hampton Roads Achievement Award Youth Group of the Year
- proud sponsor of the VWC Chapter of Habitat for Humanity - Providing homes for the working poor in 1998, 2001 and 2005
- home to Cooking For Kids, supporting Second Harvest's Kids' Cafés
There are three main goals the Office of Community Service hopes to accomplish in 2007-2008.
- Raise student consciousness about citizenship and social responsibility.
- Enhance campus culture for service.
- Provide leadership opportunities through service.
- Director of Community Service - Diane E. Hotaling
- Program/Office Manager - Brad S. Jones
- Cooking for Kids Coordinator - Michelle K. Neunzig
- One Fish. Two Fish. Marlins Tutor Coordinator - Ashley E. Roland (Neighborhood Tutoring) and Leon T. Spinner (Diamond Spring Elementary School Reading)
- Recycling Coordinator, Sean M. Westrom
- Marlin-to-Marlin Coordinator, Carmen S. Dawkins
Student Outreach Coordinators
If you have any questions for the Office of Community Service you may contact:
Office of Community Service
Location: Batten 25
Phone: 757.455.3216 or 757.455.3200 ext. 3538
E-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org