If you don't find the answer to your questions here, please contact our Admissions Office at 757.455.3208 or toll free at (800) 737-8684 and we will be happy to help! Congratulations on becoming a MARLIN!


When do I meet my advisor?
During our Marlin Days Orientation Program in August, you will meet with your First Year Experience (FYE) instructor. As an entering freshman, you will be assigned to a faculty advisor who is trained to provide guidance from a multi-disciplinary approach and who will also serve as your First Year Experience instructor. If you are a transfer student with interest in a particular major, you will be assigned to an advisor closely aligned with that discipline. Advisors will have access to student records by so you can discuss the specifics of your schedule.

I need to change my schedule. When/where can I do that?
You can change your schedule when you meet with your First Year Experience instructor during the Marlin Days Orientation Program and during the add/drop period the first week of classes.

How do I learn which textbooks I need to purchase? 

  • Visit
  • Click on “Quicklinks” at the top of the webpage.
  • Click on the “Bookstore” tab which is the 3rd tab from the right.
  • In the red box on the left side of the page, you will see a tab titled “Textbooks”. Click.
  • Click the red link titled, “Download Fall 2012 Booklist”.
  • Find the department heading and course number you are registered for.
  • The assigned text will be displayed next to the course by author and title.

If you are having difficulty, please contact the Scribner Bookstore at (757) 455-2103 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3p.m. EST.

What if there are no required books for my class(es)?
If no books appear on your required/recommended textbook page, it is possible that the instructor hasn't updated the required textbook list. You can either email the instructor or wait until the first day of class. The syllabus will note any required reading materials.


Did VWC receive my final high school transcript?
Students will be notified (typically by phone) if we have not received your final transcript. Failure to supply a final high school transcript may result in a hold placed on your ability to register for the next term.

Will I receive college credit for AP / IB / Cambridge / dual-enrollment credits from high school?
Credits for Advanced Placement, International BaccalaureateUniversity of Cambridge units and dual-enrollment courses are welcome at VWC. Virginia Wesleyan grants course credit for Advanced Placement Exams of the College Entrance Examination Board and for Higher Level examinations in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. Specific score requirements needed for course credit are available on pages 14 and 15 in the academic catalog.


Can I get a refund of my enrollment deposit?
Freshman enrollment deposits are refundable until May 1.

Living on Campus

Can I have a car on campus?
Freshmen are permitted to have cars on campus. The fee for a 2016-17 parking decal is $100. Please contact our Security Department at (757) 455-3349 for more information.

What’s with all the adirondack chairs on campus?
Pull up a seat and RELAX. The Adirondack chair has become tradition here on campus. Each section of FYE will have an opportunity to decorate their own adirondack chair. This will take place at the beginning of Scene II. This has become a tradition for all freshmen and many revisit the campus and sit in the same chair they decorated when they were freshmen. Show your creativity and Marlin pride as you make your mark on campus.

When will I be issued my student ID number, ID card and have access to email?
Freshman will received their Marlin I.D. cards at New Student Orientation in June. If you did not have your photo taken and did not receive an I.D., this service will be available at our Security Office located Bray Village. Should you need further assistance with email access, please contact Computer Services at (757) 455-3111.

When will I receive my housing and roommate assignment?
All freshmen receive their roommate and housing assignment at our summer orientation program. Should you need further assistance, please contact the office of Residence Life at (757) 455-3295.

How do I request a roommate?
Incoming students will have the option to request a roommate on their housing preference form. In order to be placed with the requested roommate, that person must have also written your name on his or her housing preference form. The Office of Residence Life will make every attempt to accommodate your request; however, housing availability may affect placement.

What about a room to myself?
Single rooms are in high demand and satisfying the needs of every student is a very difficult task. Single rooms are assigned by seniority, meaning that seniors, juniors, and sophomores will be given first priority for single rooms. However, some first-year students may get assigned singles when and if they are available, specifically in the Bray Village area.

What should I bring to campus with me?
Our Residence Life Staff has created a list, “What to Bring, What Not to Bring” Check It Out!

I’m Bored…What is there to do?
Bored?!?!?!? Yeah Right! There is soooo much to get involved with here at VWC! We have nearly 100 activities, clubs and organizations to choose from so there is always something interesting to do. From concerts, comedians, Habitat for Humanity,  intramurals, outdoor adventures like a spring break trip to the Florida Keys, to rock climbing on campus, swim lessons in the pool and much, much more you are sure to find plenty to keep you busy. Visit the Student Activities, Community Service, RecX, and Batten Center web pages to learn more!

What type of campus security is offered at VWC? 
Virginia Wesleyan believes that a safe, secure environment is essential to learning and to the peace of mind of our students, their parents and our faculty. For this reason, we employ a staff of full-time security officers available 24/7 to assist our campus community. A security officer is stationed at the DeFord Gatehouse, the College’s only vehicular entrance, at all times throughout the year. A team of Campus Security officers patrols the campus by foot, bicycle and vehicle 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our security staff maintains a friendly and supportive relationship with state and local law enforcement that assist us if the need arises. The end result is a campus that is as secure as possible while allowing students the freedom to fully enjoy the campus and the Tidewater area surrounding it. Security officers can also assist students with such services as jump starting a dead battery, after hours escort, providing parking decals and dorm ID cards. Learn more about our Security Department by visiting their website.

Does VWC have an emergency communication system?
Virginia Wesleyan utilizes the LiveSafe mobile app to communicate directly with students, faculty and staff in the event of an emergency. This voluntary app also allows members of the VWC community to report safety concerns directly to our Campus Security team.

To begin using LiveSafe:

  • Find and install “LiveSafe” from your iOS or Android app store
  • Select Virginia Wesleyan College as your local agency
  • Enter your profile information and VWC email address

How do I report troubles with my fixtures, plumbing, and lighting or communication equipment in my room?
All work order requests should be reported through our WebAdvisor system. Once you have logged into the system, in the top right corner, you will see a link, “VWC Physical Plant Work Order”. Click on the link to submit the repair that is needed. Our Physical Plant staff will attend to the repair in a professional and timely manner. Should your repair be an emergency, please contact our Security Gate immediately at (757) 455-3289.


I can’t log in to my email or WebAdvisor. Whom do I contact?
Contact our Information Technology Services Help Desk at (757) 455- 3111.

Does VWC have specific requirements for my laptop or desktop computer?
Please visit the Information Technology Services web page to review computer requirements. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Help Desk at (757) 455-3111.

I need help with my computer. Whom do I contact?
For technical assistance, please contact the Information Technology Services Help Desk at (757) 455-3111.

My computer is so slow! I want a new one! Does VWC have any specials on computers?
Virginia Wesleyan is proud to offer you special pricing and service on computers through our partnership with Dell Computers. You may purchase from a selection of laptops. They are covered by a 4-year limited warranty plus 4 year on-site service and complete care. Virginia Wesleyan is an authorized Dell repair center, most repairs can be done on campus and all repair work and replacement parts are free. Why not have a look?

What If I Already Have My Own Computer, or What If I Don't Like Dell?
We hope that you'll take advantage of the special deals that Dell offers to you, but if you already own a computer or you want to buy something else, you may do so. However, our ability to provide support and service is diminished, and we cannot guarantee that what you get will work well on our campus network. The Information Technology Services staff is specially authorized to work on Dell computers: if you run into a problem on a non-Dell computer, we will do our best to help you with it (labor is free) but we can't guarantee ready availability of replacement parts or software.

I’m A MAC fan….Will It Work on Campus?
Macs will connect to our campus network, but you should have Mac OS X or later. We'd also recommend having a G4 or faster processor (all iMacs, iBooks and PowerBooks are fine in this respect). It would also be a good idea to purchase Microsoft Mac Office 2004/08 for written communications with your professors who use PCs.

Does VWC offer wireless Internet access?
Yes. VWC offers wireless access in all academic buildings, the Jane P. Batten Student Center, as well as ALL resident halls.