National Board Certification Support Program (CCSC)
Virginia Wesleyan College, in partnership with the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) and The Southeast Virginia National Board Certified Teacher Regional Network (SEVA), has developed the VWC National Board Certification Support Program. The program supports NBCT candidates in Region II, and is coordinated through the Virginia Wesleyan College Adult Studies Program.
We are proud to announce that the VWC National Board Certification Support Program was one of only ten college, university, state and school division programs across the country chosen to be a NBPTS Comprehensive Candidate Support Center (CCSC) . The focus of our support is to maintain and enhance the existing program, and, to actively expand the National Board Academy intitiative throughout the Region II school divisions. As part of a three-year grant from NBPTS (2008-2010), Virginia Wesleyan College has served the NBCT community with networking, workshops, contracted coursework, and NBCT candidate mentoring.
- Virginia Wesleyan College NBCT Professional Development Studies for Pre-Candidates and NBCT Active Candidates
- IMPORTANT: PDS-NB1, PDS-NB2, PDS-NB3, PDS-NB5, and PDS-NB6 are VWC catalog courses that will be offered during Fall and/or Spring semesters through school division contracts with VWC through the Adult Studies Program.
- Southeastern Virginia National Board Certified Teachers Regional Network (SEVA). VWC is partnered with SEVA to provide Candidate Support- visit the SEVA website for details.
- Candidate Workshops
- 2017 NBCT Recognition Reception
- Friday, February 3, 2017
Pearce Hospitality Suite
Recognizing all new NBCTs in the Region II area
- Professional Development Studies (PDS) Courses (By Contract with Region II School Divisions)
PDS-NB1 Professional Development and Pre-Candidacy for National Board Certification (Three Credit Hours – Pass/Fail; Text: None Required
- This course is for individuals who are currently teaching in a classroom setting. Teachers are introduced to the mission, goals, and processes of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. Teachers investigate “best teaching practices” across the curricula and grade levels K-12, while determining their level of interest in pursuing National Board Certification. While the course encourages teachers to seek National Board Certification, it also serves as an opportunity for teachers to consider strategies to improve their teaching and to impact student learning.
PDS-NB2 - Personalized Professional Growth and National Board Certification (Variable Credit 1-3 Hours – Pass/Fail; Text: A Toolkit For Success (Hines/Miller/Wright)
- Teachers engage in a guided study centered on a personal professional development program, working from an overview and guided by the mission, goals, and processes of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. Teachers investigate “best teaching practices” across curricula and grade levels, K-12. Major topics are the portfolio requirements and assessment center exercises, with additional focus on video taping, writing styles, collecting student work samples and a myriad of skills needed to pursue National Board Certification.
PDS-NB3 National Board Standards in Your Classroom (One Credit Hour – Pass/Fail); Text: None Required
- Teachers will become oriented to the mission, goals, and processes of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. Teachers will investigate “best teaching practices” across the curricula and grade levels, K-12. At the same time they will explore and determine their levels of interest in seeking National Board Certification. While the course will encourage teachers to seek National Board Certification, it will also serve as an opportunity for teachers to critically consider strategies to improve their teaching and to impact student learning.
PDS-NB5: Professional Development Workshop for National Board Certification - Completing the Journey (Two Credit Hours – Pass/Fail)
- Teachers will continue the process of pursuing National Board Certification by focusing on the final details of preparing the portfolio entry for submission as well as becoming familiar with the assessment center exercises. This course will focus on peer review and collegiate collaboration as the portfolio is prepared for finalization. Teachers will investigate content specific to their certification and the alignment to national standards in preparation of assessment center exercises. While the course will encourage teachers to complete the National Board Certification process, it will also serve as an opportunity for teachers to critically consider strategies to improve their teaching and to impact student learning.
PDS-NB6 - National Board Renewal Workshop (One Credit Hour – Pass/Fail)
- The NBCT Recertification Workshop is a series of five workshop sessions to introduce active National Board Certified Teachers (NBCT) to the renewal process, and provide support as candidates examine their professional growth experiences and complete their four-part portfolio to demonstrate continued accomplished teaching.