Dr. William T. Greer, Jr.
Dr. Greer has been President of Virginia Wesleyan College since 1992. Prior to coming to Virginia, he was president of Brevard College in Brevard, North Carolina, and Andrew College in Cuthbert, Georgia. From 1970 to 1980, Dr. Greer was a United Methodist Minister, serving in Centerville, Georgia, Columbus, Georgia, and Cuthbert, Georgia. Dr. Greer has also served on the Board of Higher Education for the United Methodist Church. He has been a member of the American Academy of Religion, the Society of Biblical Literature, the Society of Christian Ethics, and the International Association of University Presidents. He was a visiting scholar at the Princeton Theological Seminary and served on the Board of Directors of the National Association of Schools and Colleges and on the Commission on Campus Concerns of the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities. He is currently a member of the Virginia Foundation of Independent Colleges, the Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia, and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (Commission on Colleges).
Dr. Greer has earned the following degrees and endorsements:
- American Studies, College of William and Mary (unclassified status)
- Doctor of Philosophy, Higher Education Administration/Marketing, Georgia State University
- Institute for Educational Management, Harvard University
- Doctor of Sacred Theology, Ethics, Emory University
- Post Graduate Research Assistant, University of Glasgow, Scotland
- Master of Divinity, Theology, Drew University
- Bachelor of Science, Biology, Valdosta State University
Dr. Greer was born in Georgia and is married to the former Fann Dewar. He and Fann have three grown sons and four grandchildren.
Awards, Honors and Recognition
- Appointed by Governor to Board of Game and Inland Fisheries
- Fulbright Scholar
- Fellow, Society for Values in Higher Education
- Awarded "Full Blue Colours," highest athletic award given by British Universities
- Visiting Scholar, Princeton Theological Seminary
- Board Member, public radio/television in Hampton Roads
- Liberty Bell Award recipient given by Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Portsmouth Bar Association