Tuesday, Mar. 31, 2015
70 ° Fair/Windy
Our services are free and available to all graduates of Virginia Wesleyan College.
If you are a recent graduate who is still job searching, understand that you are not alone. "In the best of times, finding a job is a job, and that's certainly the case in a tight job market. It's important not to panic, which will only drain your energy away from the task at hand--finding a job." Try some of these tips from Job Choices for Business and Liberal Arts Students* (www.jobweb.com).
1) Continue working on your job search: You will only get a job if you are actively pursuing one. Be persistent.
2) Work your network: Remind your contacts that you are looking for a job; continue expanding your network. Join the "Linked-in" networking system.
3) Revisit the Career Services Center: The VWC Career Services Center is available to ALL graduates! Use the help available to you!
4) Consider Temping: Temporary work not only gives you a way to pay the bills, but can also help you build skills and experience that will be attractive to employers seeking full-time employees. When the economy improves, those same employers may opt to hire temps who performed well.
5) Look for ways to build new skills: In addition to temp jobs, volunteer opportunities can help you develop new skills that will make you a more appealing job candidate.
6) Rethink your options: Look at other careers that relate to your major or field. Be flexible! It may be time to think out of the box.
(*Free Job Choices magazines are available in the Career Services Center or online at www.jobchoicesonline.com.)
If you feel that some career assessment is in order, VWC alumni may take advantage of our FOCUS-2 program. FOCUS-2 is a FREE service to all Virginia Wesleyan students and graduates. Visit our FOCUS-2 site for complete instructions on registration and use.
You may also want to talk with a career counselor. Call 757.455.3337 or email email@example.com to set up an appointment. Evening appointments, upon a counselor's availability, can sometimes be arranged to accommodate your work schedule.
A Career Services counselor can assist you with coordinating your application timeline, preparing to take entrance exams, filling out applications, critiquing your essays, and more. Call 757.455.3337 to schedule an appointment.
Our office often sponsors career panels, exposing current students to possible career paths associated with their majors and interests. If you would be willing to speak on a future panel, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is your organization or company looking to hire interns or new employees? If so, consider posting your position in our password-protected database that is accessible to Virginia Wesleyan students. Are you available to conduct mock interviews?
For other ways to stay connected to your alma mater, visit the Alumni Relations Office. Personal updates can be sent to email@example.com. You may also want to sign up for FishNet, a new online community for Virginia Wesleyan alumni.