National Italian Americnational-italian-american-foundation-scholarshipsan Foundation Scholarships
The National Italian American Foundation (NIAF) has an education budget of $1,000,000. The NIAF will award scholarships and grants to outstanding students in the summer of 2009 for use during the following academic year. The awards will be made on the basis of academic merit and divided between two groups of students.
General Category I: Italian American students who demonstrate outstanding potential and high academic achievements. Area of study: open.
General Category II: Those students from any ethnic background majoring or minoring in Italian language, Italian studies, Italian American studies or a related field, who demonstrate outstanding potential and high academic achievements.
Scholarship awards range from $2,000-$12,000. Each scholarship award can only cover tuition and university-provided room and board. Scholarship recipients are eligible for one year of scholarship support. Scholarship monies not used during one academic year are not transferable to the following academic year.
• Be enrolled in an US accredited institution of higher education.
• Have a grade-point average of at least 3.5 out of 4.0 (or the equivalent).
• Be a United States citizen or a permanent resident alien.
• Fit into one of the two NIAF scholarship categories.
• For the purposes of the NIAF Scholarship Program, to be “Italian American” the student must have at least one ancestor who has immigrated from Italy.
November - Scholarship application available online
Early March - Online application and supplementary materials due
May - Winners of NIAF scholarships announced
*Timeline subject to change. Check the NIAF Scholarship Program website for official dates and details. Additional scholarships may be available through NIAF. Contact Lena Johnson, Director of International Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org, for assistance with study abroad scholarship applications.