Aesthetic Understanding (A) (4 sem. hrs.)
Courses bearing the Aesthetic Understanding (A) designation explore visual art,
music, theatre, film, and/or creative writing. These courses offer students the opportunity to understand our cultural heritage as expressed in works of artistic expression created by others and/or to create these kinds of works themselves. Students study the creative process itself to understand and evaluate works intended to provoke an aesthetic response.
- To become acquainted with major achievements in the arts.
- To explore the cultural and historical context of artistic achievements.
- To learn techniques for critical analysis and appreciation of works of art.
- To acquire an appropriate vocabulary with which to articulate this knowledge.
- In classes focusing on creative expression, to learn the techniques, discipline, and value of creating works intended to evoke an aesthetic response.