Teacher Certification Exams
In order to be accepted by the Education Department, students must meet the Praxis I Requirement. Please see your advisor for information on how to meet this requirement.
In order to be eligible for student teaching, students must pass the following teacher certification exams:
- Virginia Communications and Literacy Assessment (VCLA)
- Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE) where applicable
- Praxis II (subject area assessment)
Praxis I requirement
The Praxis I test is one of the requirements for admission to the Education Department. Once the student passes all sections of the Praxis I test and meets the other requirements for admission, the student can be admitted to the education program. Use the links below for assistance with study tips and information about test anxiety.
Praxis I Assistance Options
- VWC Learning Resource Center~ tutors available for math and reading
- Practice Tests available on Blackboard — see Stacey Wollerton for the link
- Books available for checkout in the VWC library
Assessment Contact Information
For more information on VCLA or RVE please visit www.doe.virginia.gov.
To register for the VCLA, visit www.va.nesinc.com.
To register for RVE (locally), call Prometric Testing Center (757-873-0208), or visit the Praxis website at www.ets.org/praxis.
To register for Praxis I (locally), call Prometric Testing Center (757-873-0208).
To register for Praxis II, call Prometric Testing Center (757-873-0208) or visit the Praxis website at www.ets.org/praxis.
For additional information about Praxis please visit the ETS: Educational Testing website.