Applying for a VA License
Criteria for submitting an application for an initial Virginia license
- You may submit an application for an initial Virginia license if you meet the criteria in at least one of the following:
- Have completed a state-approved teacher preparation program, to include student teaching; (If you have completed a Virginia approved program, you should request that your application be submitted by the college or university);
- Have completed a state-approved school counselor, school psychologist, visiting teacher, school social worker or vocational evaluator or hold a current, valid license in another state in one of these pupil personnel services areas;
- Hold a current, valid license from another state with comparable endorsement(s) or teaching area(s); or
- Are employed full-time under contract by a Virginia school division (Please submit your application directly to the employing school division.);
- Have completed an approved program in administration and supervision or hold a current, valid out-of-state license in administration and supervision. [An individual who holds a Virginia teaching license and who is seeking to add an administration and supervision endorsement does not need to submit an application for an initial license, but rather request an additional endorsement.]
- Are seeking a division superintendent license. (Please note the specific procedures for submitting a division superintendent license application.)
Please note: Do not submit a new application for a license if you hold a five-year renewable Virginia license that has expired. You must meet the renewal requirements that are noted in the Virginia Licensure Renewal Manual.
Refer to the Procedures for Adding an Endorsement if you are seeking an additional endorsement on your Virginia license.
Child abuse recognition and intervention training
The 2002 Virginia General Assembly amended the Code of Virginia to require that individuals seeking initial licensure and license renewal on and after July 1, 2004, must complete study in child abuse recognition and intervention in accordance with curriculum guidelines approved by the Board of Education. All instructional personnel required to hold a license for their positions are required to complete this requirement. Individuals must complete the Child Abuse Recognition and Intervention requirement PRIOR TO EMPLOYMENT IN A VIRGINIA PUBLIC SCHOOL.
Technology standards for instructional personnel
Individuals are required to meet the Technology Standards for Instructional Personnel approved by the Board of Education. Individuals who graduated from an approved teacher preparation program in Virginia since December 1998 have met the requirement as the Technology Standards were incorporated in the program. All other individuals will need to meet this requirement as outlined by the employing Virginia educational agency.
Procedures for applying for an initial Virginia license for teachers
Step 1 - Application Form: Please respond to all questions.
Step 2 - Nonrefundable Application Fee: Attach a certified check, cashier’s check, money order, or personal check made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia. The in-state fee is $50 and the out-of-state fee is $75. Note: The fee is determined by the address on your application. A $25 processing fee is assessed for a returned check.
Step 3 - College Verification Form: Send this form to the certification/licensure officer of the college/university where you completed a state-approved program and/or to the designated official of the college/university from which your most recent degree was earned. The student teaching/ practicum/ internship verification (Part II) must be completed for each student teaching/ practicum/ internship experience. (If you have completed a state-approved program at the undergraduate and graduate levels, please have both institutions complete a form.)
Step 4 - Report on Experience: Request the completion of this form by the appropriate nonpublic or public school division official if you have completed at least one year of full-time contractual teaching or other school professional experience in kindergarten through grade 12.
Step 5 - Professional Teacher’s Assessment Scores: Please submit a copy of your Professional Teacher’s Assessment scores, if required. If you have completed two years of successful, full-time teaching experience at the K-12 level in an accredited public or nonpublic school outside the state of Virginia, you may exempted from the assessment requirements.
Step 6 - Official Student Transcripts: Contact the registrar’s office of each college or university where you have earned degrees or completed course work. Request official student transcripts to be sent to you and submit the transcripts with your application packet. Official student transcripts (bearing the registrar’s signature and embossed seal) which have been issued to students are acceptable. Placement records
sent from colleges, grade reports, and photocopies of transcripts will not be accepted or returned.
Step 7 - Out-of-state License(s): Submit a photocopy of each current out-of-state license.