- A to Z Teacher Stuff - A to Z Thematic Units Index
- ASCD SmartBrief - Subscribe to this newsletter for short items of interest to people who care about K-12 education (including early childhood).
- Brainpop - This site contains tons of animation on science and health issues. Great for students, even has mini movies.
- Commonwealth of Knowledge - Virginia's site for educators with information on SOL's, news and lesson plans.
- Education Place - This site provides information and activities for all subjects but is especially good for reading. It is offered by Houghton Mifflin, a textbook publisher. Other publishers have similar sites.
- FunBrain.com - Games, flashcards and quizzes for your students. You can even set up electronic quizzes for your students to take and have FunBrain email the results to you.
- Free Worksheets - Here are over 2000, free to print and use, worksheets covering math, science, language arts, social studies, phonics, reading, thinking skills and more. Answer sheets, too!
- Math and Science Literature Connection - Use childeren's literature to plan and enhance math and science lessons.
- Mathgoodies - Need help with math? This site includes lesson plans, puzzles, games and even math chat.
- McRel - The MidContinent Research for Education and Learning - applied research.
- NASA - Resources from NASA
- National Art Education Association - NAEA is a dynamic community of practice where visual arts teachers and others come together around a shared belief in the power of arts in developing human potential.
- National Council for Teachers of English - NCTE is devoted to improving the teaching and learning of English and the language arts at all levels of education.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics - NCTM is the public voice of mathematics education supporting teachers to ensure equitable mathematics learning.
- National Science Teacher’s Association - NSTA is the largest organization in the world committed to promoting excellence and innovation in science teaching and learning for all.
- National Council for the Social Studies - NCSS is devoted to preparing students for college, career, and citizenship.
- Poetry 4 Kids - Great site to teach students about poetry, also a link for Symantec dictionary.
- ProQuest K-12 - Sign up for one of their newsletters for the latest in education resources.
- Praxis Study Guides - bullet-pointed listing of exactly what topics will appear on your exam.
- Puzzlemaker - Need a puzzle in a hurry? This site will create any number of puzzles for word search, mazes, even math puzzles. Solutions are also provided.
- Rubrics - Need a rubric? This site will help you creat rubrics for all curriculum areas.
- SchoolExpress - This site is an education web site offering free worksheets and software.
- School History - This site provides many resources for use by teachers and students.
- teAchnology - This site provides a review of sites specifically for teacher resources.
- Test Question of the Day - To prepare for the Praxis I test, try practicing with the Question of the Day.
- Virginia Department of Education - Official Website with information on SOL's, certification and job listings.
Bosch, Karen. The First Year Teacher: Planning a Classroom That Works. Washington DC: NEA Professional Library, 2010.
Bosch, K.A. Planning Classroom Management. Arlington Heights, California: Corwin Press, 2006.
Danielson, Charlotte. Enhancing Professional Practice: A Framework for Teaching. Virginia: ASCD, 1996.
Firek, Hilve. 10 Easy Ways to Use Technology in the English Classroom. Portsmouth, New Hampshire: Heinemann, 2003.
Lemov, Doug. Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques That Put Students on the Path to College. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 2010.
Piper, Mary. Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls. Ballantine Books, 1995.
Pollack, William. Real Boys: Rescuing Our Sons from the Myths of Boyhood. Henry Holt, 1999.
Ravitch, Diane. The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education. New York: Basic Books, 2010.