2009-2010 Nexus Interfaith Diaolgue: Religion and Sex: An Interfaith Exploration of Current Issues in Sexuality and Religion
Human sexuality has posed a range of difficult challenges for all religious traditions. The 2009-2010 Nexus Interfaith Dialogue Series will explore diverse responses to several current challenges facing religious institutions and individuals from a range of faith perspectives. Panelists from different faiths will be invited to reflect on questions such as the following as they consider these issues:
- Are there religious doctrines or teachings that speak directly to these matters? To what extent are these authoritative or binding on individuals?
- What guidance is available in scripture? What interpretive issues are involved in the relevant passages?
- How has your faith’s understanding of human sexuality changed or been reinterpreted over the years? Have sexuality issues caused division or controversy within your faith community?
- What is the relationship between religious teaching and social custom on issues of sexuality and gender?
- How has your personal experience affected your view of your faith’s response to these issues?
Specific program themes are as follows:
October 12, 2009: Human Reproduction and Religious Faith
Panelists: Imam Vernon Fareed (Muslim), Dr. Paul Jersild (Lutheran), Rabbi Michael Panitz (Jewish), Rev. James Parke (Roman Catholic); Paul Rasor (moderator).
November 16, 2009: Sexual Identity and Religious Faith
Panelists: Dr. Raji Kaloji (Hindu), Sharon Payne (Episcopalian), Ashley Scruggs (Episcopalian); Paul Rasor (moderator).
February 1, 2010: Gender Roles in Religion
March 8, 2010: Sexuality and Spirituality