Wednesday, Mar. 4, 2015
49 ° Mostly Cloudy
The Virginia Wesleyan College (VWC) Athletics Hall of Fame was established by resolution of its Board of Trustees on May 16, 2007 to honor those who by outstanding achievement in athletics, by service to athletics, or through significant contributions to athletics have made lasting contributions to Virginia Wesleyan’s intercollegiate athletic program.
· Any individual of good character who has given outstanding performance in athletic competition at Virginia Wesleyan shall be eligible for nomination five years after the graduation of his or her class.
· Persons who have not qualified for a degree, but left the College in good standing, may be nominated (good standing is defined as a 2.0 GPA and not separated for disciplinary reasons).
· Nominees may also include alumni with postgraduate achievement in sports, coaches, trainers, and other persons who have made outstanding contributions to intercollegiate athletics at Virginia Wesleyan.
· An individual may be nominated posthumously.
· No voting member of the Athletics Hall of Fame Committee shall be eligible for consideration during his or her term on the Committee.
· The Hall of Fame Committee, at its own discretion and upon unanimous vote, may authorize induction of a person who falls outside the defined criteria.
· The Committee may also authorize “Team Induction” to teams in recognition of a team’s outstanding accomplishments. Teams shall be eligible for nomination after five years.
· No more than eight (8) inductees will be included in the Charter Membership. In subsequent years, no more than five (5) living inductees and one deceased may be inducted. In the event of a tie, the Committe has the right to increase the number of inductees.
· The Office of Alumni Relations will solicit nominations for Hall of Fame candidates.
· Calls for nominations shall be made in the Wesleyan Magazine, the Web site, E-News, Marlin Mail and public news release.
· Calls for nominations shall also be publicized along with other Alumni Association Awards.
· The Sports Information Director along with the Committee will develop a list over time of suitable nominees to ensure that quality nominees are available for consideration.
· Nomination forms will be made routinely available on the Web site and in hard copy form upon request.
· Nominations may be made by alumni or friends of the College.
· Nominations must be made through completion of the nomination form in writing and submitted to the Office of Alumni Relations.
· Induction of members will be held annually.
· The event will be coordinated by the Alumni Relations Office and will be held in conjunction with a home men’s or women’s basketball game in mid-January or February of each year.
· The first year Hall of Fame inductees will be forever known as the Charter Members of the Hall of Fame
· Each inductee shall receive an attractive memento, inscribed with his or her name, year of induction, sport(s) and class year.
· Names of inductees, along with information about their contributions to intercollegiate athletics at Virginia Wesleyan, shall be permanently displayed in an appropriate area of the Jane P. Batten Student Center.
· The Athletic Hall of Fame list of honorees will be permanently available for viewing on the Virginia Wesleyan College Web site.
· Honorees will be announced by the Sports Information Director through the media in advance of the induction event.