Meet Our Team
I am passionate about language, the arts, nature, movement and fitness, food, popular culture and current events, but most of all about being exposed to new experiences, people and ideas. I am so thrilled to be a part of the Virginia Wesleyan family. The intellectual and creative energy on this intimate but incredibly vibrant campus are matched only by its close-knit and welcoming vibe.
What I’ve Done and What I Do
I have a B.A. in English from James Madison University and a B.F.A. in Dance & Choreography from Virginia Commonwealth University. I studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain. I have held all manner of jobs and “jobs” in my life: bartender, resort maid, dancer and fitness instructor, camera store clerk, wanna-be rock star and of course, writer, editor and communications professional. For six years, I served as senior editor of Port Folio Weekly, a local paper covering news, politics, arts and culture in the Hampton Roads region.
I joined the VWC family in November 2010. My job is to think creatively and write engagingly in an effort to reach out to the community and the public concerning all things VWC. Fortunately, there is no shortage of amazing stuff happening in our little wooded corner of the universe, so there’s always plenty to brag about. I am proud to work with a talented, dynamic Communications staff, all of whom work tirelessly to promote this “powerhouse of a little place.”
Let’s Get Personal
I have a husband who makes me laugh, a lovely daughter who wants to be Kristen Wigg when she grows up and a cat named Jack. A few other random things you might like to know about me:
- I live to be outside -- unless it’s really cold, in which case I want to hide under a blanket next to a fire.
- I am a word geek. I am friends with “Dictionary.com” on Facebook. I actually enjoyed diagramming sentences in the 6th grade. Enough said.
- I am a master parallel parker.
- I hate the word “moist” and the superfluous use of exclamation points.
- If you were coming to my house for dinner, I’d make you Greek shrimp and grits.
- I have a set of juggling balls on my desk. My juggling skills leave a lot to be desired.
- I have written and still write for quite a few regional publications and websites. Here are a few I love: AltDaily, Hampton Roads Magazine, and Veer .
- I also heart Todd Rosenlieb Dance.
- I have won several Virginia Press Association awards including two first place feature writing portfolio awards.
- Public Relations