Monday, Mar. 10, 2014
33 ° Fair
Administrative Systems within the Computer Services Department at Virginia Wesleyan College is seeking an individual for a full-time, entry level programming position.
This Entry Level Programmer position will be responsible for joining the Administrative Computing team in supporting and maintaining administrative applications using the College’s Ellucian Colleague system including both transaction and web based interfaces; designing and writing custom programs; developing system and user documentation; training end-users; assisting in the completion of required institutional and departmental reports that are necessary for the operation of the College; and promoting the mission of Virginia Wesleyan College.
• Full time, permanent position with benefits.
• Willing to travel for training.
• Other duties will include software testing, resolving high level support issues with our technical support team, and developing internal and end user documentation.
• Team player – enjoys and effective in working with technical and non-technical computer users.
• Reports directly to the Manager of Administrative Computing.
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred, minimum of an Associate’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Business Information Systems or related field.
• Solid understanding of database and querying concepts is a must. Experience with UNIDATA and/or MS SQL a plus.
• Experience with HTML and Java programming is preferred.
• Outstanding communication and documentation skills
• Strong problem-solving skills and aptitude for learning technical information quickly.
• Experience with the UNIX operating system, particularly HP-UX, Microsoft Office suite, SQL and SharePoint helpful.
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references to Mrs. Karla Rasmussen, Human Resources Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or, via regular mail, to Virginia Wesleyan College, 1584 Wesleyan Drive, Norfolk, VA 23502. VWC is an equal opportunity employer; the college offers employment, advancement opportunities, and benefits in a harassment-free environment on the basis of merit, qualifications and competency to all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, national origin, handicap, sexual orientation or covered veteran status. Please visit our website at www.vwc.edu.