Defining Undergraduate Research
Undergraduate Research Grant For Conference Presentation
Students seeking financial support to travel to academic conferences to present their research may apply for a conference presentation grant. The research may be presented as either a talk or a poster. This particular application is for research projects that were undertaken by either individual students or groups of students.
To be considered for a conference travel grant, the project/student must meet the following qualifications:
- The project must be the product of independent research.
- The project must be completed by the date of application.
- The project must be endorsed by a faculty member.
- The student must be enrolled at Virginia Wesleyan College and show evidence of continuing enrollment at Virginia Wesleyan College or graduate school for the following semester.
In most cases, the maximum award is $1,000 to cover travel, ground transportation, accommodations, and the conference registration fee. Dining expenses will not be supported. Any cost overruns will be the responsibility of the student unless specifically cleared by the Undergraduate Research committee.
REQUIREMENTS OF CONFERENCE PRESENTATION GRANT & STUDENT RESPONSIBILITIES
If awarded a conference presentation grant, the student is expected to complete the following:
- Meet with a member of the Undergraduate Research Committee soon after the announcement of the award. Students whose projects were conducted in departments in either the Humanities or Social Sciences divisions, should email the Director of Undergraduate Research, Dr. Sara Sewell (firstname.lastname@example.org), to set up an appointment. Students whose projects were conducted in departments in the Natural Sciences & Mathematics Division, should email Dr. Soraya Bartol (email@example.com), to set up an appointment.
- Submit the conference program page that shows your paper/poster on the schedule to the Director of Undergraduate Research, Dr. Sara Sewell.
- Submit a copy of your paper/poster to Dr. Sewell. You may email the paper/poster.
- Make all financial arrangements for the conference through VWC's Business Office with Ms. Midge Zimmerman. You may contact Ms. Zimmerman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After the conference, submit an itemized expense record using this form. This is due 2 weeks after the conference.
- After the conference, submit 2 or 3 photographs of you at the conference (i.e. presenting a paper/poster or with a conference sign/banner). These pictures might be used for publicity. Email the pictures to Dr. Sewell.
- It is expected that all students who receive financial support from the Undergraduate Research Program present at VWC's annual Undergraduate Research Symposium in April 2015.