Virginia Wesleyan's Undergraduate Research Program is pleased to accept proposals from individual students or groups of students to conduct research. To be considered for a research grant, the project/student must meet the following qualifications:
- The project must meet the Undergraduate Research Program's definition of independent research.
- The project must be endorsed by a faculty member.
- The student must be enrolled at Virginia Wesleyan College and show evidence of continuing enrollment at Virginia Wesleyan College or graduate school for the following semester.
In recent years, research grants have ranged from $50 to $1,000. In only rare circumstances does the Undergraduate Research Program award over $1,000. The grant may be used to cover research materials or expenses related to travel. Dining expenses are not supported. As you put together your application, we encourage you to be as economical as possible. We also encourage you to seek other funding sources.
Please Note: Applications for that involve airfare must be received at least 8 weeks prior to the travel to be considered.
REQUIREMENTS OF RESEARCH GRANT & STUDENT RESPONSIBILITIES
If awarded a research grant, the student is expected to complete the following:
- Meet with a member of the Undergraduate Research Committee soon after the announcement of the award. Students whose projects were conducted in departments in either the Humanities or Social Sciences divisions, should email the Director of Undergraduate Research, Dr. Sara Sewell (firstname.lastname@example.org), to set up an appointment. Students whose projects were conducted in departments in the Natural Sciences & Mathematics Division, should email Dr. Soraya Bartol (email@example.com), to set up an appointment.
- Submit a copy of your paper/poster to Dr. Sewell. You may email the paper/poster.
- Make all financial arrangements for the grant through VWC's Business Office with Ms. Midge Zimmerman. You may contact Ms. Zimmerman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit an itemized expense record using this form. This is by the end of the academic term.
- Submit 3 or 4 pictures of yourself, active in the research. These pictures might be used for publicity. Email the pictures to Dr. Sewell (email@example.com).
- It is expected that all students who receive financial support from the Undergraduate Research Program present at VWC's annual Undergraduate Research Symposium in April 2015.