Learning Center Services
Subject tutoring sessions are conducted by both professional and peer tutors. Peer tutors are the strongest in their tutoring subject area. They must have a professor’s recommendation and at least an A- average in the courses they are tutoring. These sessions are for individuals or small groups and provide class specific support. Appointments or walk-ins are always welcome. If the course you need help with is not listed, please contact Julia Shaw, Director of the Learning Center, by email at email@example.com. Dr Shaw’s office is located in the Learning Center, Clarke Hall 225.
Students can receive quality individualized writing instruction and support from professional writing tutors. We believe that writing is best taught one-to-one, and we strive to provide each student with prompt, authoritative, and empathetic assistance. Tutors can help students with all kinds of writing, including essays for English courses, assignments for an upper level writing course, personal or creative writing, and personal statements for graduate school.
- Help you at all stages of the writing process, including brainstorming, organizing, revising, and editing
- Help you with documentation (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc)
- Help you discover and correct a grammar issue pattern in your writing
- Help you format your paper in a word processing program
What We Don’t Do:
- We are not a one-hour dry cleaning service. We can’t let you drop off a paper to be picked up later. We work alongside you to help you write the best paper you can
- We don’t do your writing for you; we’re here to coach you, and we hope you will be able to use what you learn with us in your future writing
For more information about writing tutoring, contact Kim Fahle, Coordinator of Writing Services by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone at 757.455.5704. Her office is located in the Learning Center, Clarke Hall 227.
In these sessions, trained tutors provide strategies for organizing planners, understanding syllabi, study skills, and time management. Weekly organization visits are advised to update your planner and stay up to date on all course work.
If you are in need of a tutor, please select the Make an Appointment link on the left.
Each semester, the Learning Center offers a range of workshops in support of students seeking to enhance their academic skills and performance.