Saturday, Aug. 2, 2014
72 ° Cloudy
The Learning Center coordinates tutorial, placement, and academic support services at Virginia Wesleyan College. Academic support services include transitional advising during Summer Orientation and Winter Session, academic counseling for provisional students and those on academic probation, and disability services. Our mission is to give students the resources they need to become successful independent learners while maintaining an open channel of communication with faculty. We supplement faculty instruction by providing peer and professional tutoring, appropriate resource materials to supplement course work, study skills workshops, and alternate testing facilities.
The mission of the Virginia Wesleyan College Writing Center is to provide quality individualized writing instruction and support to students enrolled in all of the college's academic programs. We believe that writing is best taught one-to-one, and we strive to provide each student with prompt, authoritative, and empathetic assistance. We have five major responsibilities:
1. To supplement the individualized instruction provided by faculty in first-year writing courses.
2. To help students develop the writing skills needed for success in other courses across the college.
3. To respond to and encourage other writing done by students, including creative writing, personal business communications, and applications to graduate and professional schools.
4. To provide occasional workshops and classroom presentations on topics related to writing in an academic setting.
5. To work with the staff of the Learning Center in providing services and accommodations for student writers with special needs.