Institutional Review Board
Virginia Wesleyan College's Institutional Review Board (IRB) has been established to ensure that all research conducted at the college meets high ethical standards and complies with federal mandates regarding the treatment of human research participants. Any member of the campus community (faculty, students, or staff) wishing to conduct research that involves human participants should determine whether their research protocol is exempt from review or should be submitted for approval by the IRB. Exempt research would include (but is not limited to) research done for purely pedagogical purposes, research conducted with no intent to publish or present the results at conferences, and research involving oral histories. If your research will result in making inferences beyond your sample of collected data and you plan to publish or present these results in any form, then your research is not exempt and you should plan on submitting your proposal before collecting data. Additional information concerning specific procedures, exemption policy, as well as all forms needed for the application process may be found below.
(vwc.edu log-in required)
- Taryn Myers (Social Sciences Representative - Psychology) IRB Co-Chair (e-mail)
- Craig Jackson (Social Sciences Representative - Psychology), IRB Co-Chair (e-mail)
- Lawrence Hultgren (Humanities Representative - Philosophy)
Kathleen Casey (Social Sciences Representative - History).
- Alison Marganski (Social Sciences Representative - Sociology & Criminal Justice)
- Philip Rock (Natural Sciences Representative - Biology)
- Cathal Woods (Humanities Representative - Philosophy)