Virginia Wesleyan College
1584 Wesleyan Drive
Norfolk , VA 23502
Mon-Th, 8:30 am – 8:30 pm
Undergraduate Research Grant For Conference Presentation
Students seeking financial support to travel to academic conferences to present their research may apply for a conference presentation grant. The research may be presented as either a talk or a poster. This particular application is for research projects that were undertaken by either individual students or groups of students.
To be considered for a conference travel grant, the project/student must meet the following qualifications:
- The project must be the product of independent research.
- The project must be completed by the date of application.
- The project must be endorsed by a faculty member.
- The student must be enrolled at Virginia Wesleyan College and show evidence of continuing enrollment at Virginia Wesleyan College or graduate school for the following semester.
In most cases, the maximum award is $1,000 to cover travel, ground transportation, accommodations, and the conference registration fee. Dining expenses will not be supported. Any cost overruns will be the responsibility of the student unless specifically cleared by the Undergraduate Research committee.
REQUIREMENTS OF CONFERENCE PRESENTATION GRANT & STUDENT RESPONSIBILITIES
If awarded a conference presentation grant, the student is expected to complete the following:
- Meet with the Director of Undergraduate Research, Dr. Soraya Bartol, soon after the announcement of the award. Email Dr. Bartol (email@example.com), to set up an appointment.
- Submit the conference program page that shows your paper/poster on the schedule to the Director of Undergraduate Research, Dr. Bartol.
- Submit a copy of your paper/poster to Dr. Bartol. You may email the paper/poster.
- Make all financial arrangements for the conference through VWC's Business Office with Ms. Midge Zimmerman. You may contact Ms. Zimmerman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After the conference, submit an itemized expense record using this form. This is due 2 weeks after the conference.
- After the conference, submit 2 or 3 photographs of you at the conference (i.e. presenting a paper/poster or with a conference sign/banner). These pictures might be used for publicity. Email the pictures to Dr. Bartol.
- It is expected that all students who receive financial support from the Undergraduate Research Program present at VWC's Undergraduate Symposia. For projects in the divisions of Social Sciences and Humanities, the Undergraduate Research Symposium is tentatively scheduled for the week of April 25th, 2016. For projects in the Division of the Natural Sciences and Mathematics, the Symposia are scheduled for Thursday, December 3, 2016 and tentatively for the week of April 25th, 2016.