The Pre-Engineering Program offers students the opportunity to earn both a Bachelor of Science degree from Virginia Wesleyan College and a Master of Civil, Environmental, Mechanical, Electrical, Computer, or Aerospace Engineering from Old Dominion University in five years. Students attend Virginia Wesleyan for four years and ODU for one year. Starting their junior year, students take one or two engineering courses each semester at ODU while enrolled at VWC. After graduating from VWC, students are automatically admitted to the one-year Master of Engineering graduate program at ODU. Students are also eligible for the longer Master of Science in Engineering program.
- Students should declare their intention to participate in the program during their first year at VWC. The pre-engineering advisor should be a co-advisor along with the first-year advisor or the major advisor.
- The student's VWC grade point average (gpa) must be at least 3.0, both overall and in mathematics and physics, to be eligible to begin the engineering portion of the program.
- Students will major in Biology (BS), Chemistry, Computer Science (BS), Earth and Environmental Science (BS), or Mathematics (BS).
- The students will successfully complete the following courses at VWC.
- Math 172 Calculus II
- Math 210 or Math 310, one statistics course
- Math 217 Linear Algebra
- Math 273 Multivariable Calculus
- Math 274 Differential Equations
- CS 112 Computer Programming I
- PHY 221 University Physics I
- PHY 222 University Physics II
- CHEM 120 Introductory Chemistry
- CHEM 200 Inorganic Chemistry
- Students will choose an engineering field and complete the corresponding courses.
- If the grade point average in this course work is at least 3.0 and a satisfactory score has been obtained on the Graduate Record Examination (which may be taken at any time prior to the awarding of the VWC degree), the student is admitted unconditionally into the graduate program at ODU.
For more information, please contact the pre-engineering adviser:
Dr. Margaret Reese
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science