This is a partial list of recent faculty publications, exhibitions and performances.
Dr. Robert B. Albertson
- Albertson, Robert. Images of America: Portsmouth, VA. Charleston: Arcadia Press of Charleston, 2002.
Dr. Soraya M. Bartol
- Gordon, M.S. and S. M. Bartol, eds. 2004. Experimental Approaches to Conservation Biology. University of California Press, Berkley.
- Bartol, S.M., R.L Mellgren and J.A. Musick. 2003. Visual Acuity of Juvenile Loggerhead Sea Turtles (Caretta caretta): A Behavioral Approach. International Journal of Comparative Psychology 16:143-155.
- Bartol, S.M., J.A. Musick and A.L. Ochs. 2002. Visual Acuity Thresholds of Juvenile Loggerhead Sea turtles (Caretta caretta): An Electrophysiological Approach. Journal of Comparative Physiology A: Neuroethology, Sensory, Neural, and Behavioral Physiology 187:953-960.
Dr. Richard E. Bond
“How to Create a Cult: Reflections on Make-Believe and Historical Contingency in the History Classroom”, The History Teacher, 46.4 (August 2013): 531-46
“Failing Lessons: Tales of Disastrous Assignments,” Perspectives on History (January 2013
From Jamestown to Jefferson: The Evolution of Religious Freedom in Virginia, Paul Rasor and Richard E. Bond, eds. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2011
“Piratical Americans: Representations of Piracy and Authority in mid-Twentieth-Century Swashbucklers,” Journal of American Culture 33:4 (December 2010): 309-21
Perspectives On Life After the History Ph.D. Richard Bond and Pillarisetti Sudhir, eds., Washington D.C.: The American Historical Association, 2006
“Shaping a Conspiracy: Black Testimony in the 1741 New York Plot,” Early American Studies Volume 5, Number 1 (Spring 2007): 63-94
Dr. Karen A. Bosch
Professional Library, 2010. "Leadership and Classroom Management for Teachers and Administrators." The Common Wealth in Education Conference, March 30-31, 2007.
Bosch, Karen. The First Year Teacher: Planning A Classroom That Works. Washington DC: NEA
Bosch, Karen. Planning Classroom Management. Thousand Oaks: Corwin Press, 2006 Bosch, Karen.
Dr. Thomas F. Brown
Publications going into print this year include:
- 2012. Terrorist Financing. In Margaret Beare & Geoffry Golson (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Transnational Crime and Justice. Sage Reference (in press).
- 2012. Procunier vs. Martinez. In Wilbur Miller (Ed.), Social History of Crime & Punishment. Sage Reference.
- 2012. Thomas Dewey. In Wilbur Miller (Ed.), Social History of Crime & Punishment. Sage Reference.
- 2012. Johnson v. Avery. In Wilbur Miller (Ed.), Social History of Crime & Punishment. Sage Reference.
- 2012. Taylor v. State of Mississippi. In Wilbur Miller (Ed.) Social History of Crime & Punishment. Sage Reference.
- 2012. National Police Gazette. In Wilbur Miller (Ed.) Social History of Crime & Punishment. Sage Reference.
- 2012. Whitney v. California. In Wilbur Miller (Ed.) Social History of Crime & Punishment. Sage Reference.
Mrs. Takeyra M. Collins
Collins, T., Gomez, E., Hill, E. L., Milliken, T., Goff, J., and Gregory, N. (2013). The Resiliency and Attitudes Skills Profile: An Assessment of Factor Structure. Illuminare: A Student Journal in Recreation, Parks, and Leisure Studies, 11 (1), (pp.16-30).
Benjamin D. Dobrin
- Dobrin, Ben. "Alzheimer's Disease and Search and Rescue." Cortical Connections, Vol. 6:4, Fall, 2006.
Dr. Clayton J. Drees
Authority and Dissent in the English Church. Edwin Mellen, 1997.
The Late Medieval Age of Crisis and Renewal 1300-1500. Greenwood, 2001.
Bishop Richard Fox of Winchester: Architect of the Tudor Age. McFarland, 2014.
Steven M. Emmanuel
- Books:A Companion to Buddhist Philosophy (Wiley-Blackwell)Modern Philosophy: An Anthology (Blackwell, 2002)The Modern Philosophers: From Descartes to Nietzsche (Blackwell, 2001)Kierkegaard and the Concept of Revelation (SUNY Press, 1996)Forthcoming Books:Contributing Co-Editor, Kierkegaard’s Concepts, 4 volumes. Published as part of the seriesKierkegaard Research: Sources, Reception and Resources (Ashgate Press)Selected Articles:“Buddhism: Contemporary Expressions,” a chapter-length essay on socially engaged Buddhismin The Blackwell Companion to Religion and Social Justice (forthcoming)“Philosophy,” in the Dictionary of Existentialism (Greenwood, 1999)“Kierkegaard,” in the Encyclopedia of Philosophy Supplement (MacMillan, 1997)“Reading Kierkegaard,” Philosophy Today 36 (1992): 240-255“Kierkegaard on Knowledge and Faith,” Kierkegaardiana 15 (1992): 136-146“Kierkegaard’s Pragmatist Faith,” Philosophy & Phenomenological Research (1991): 279-302“Kierkegaard on Doctrine,” Religious Studies 25 (1989): 363-378Major Review Essays:“Recent Literature on Kierkegaard,” Religious Studies Review 20 (1994): 286-291Anthologized Articles:“Reading Kierkegaard,” in Søren Kierkegaard: Critical Assessments of Leading Philosophers,ed. Daniel W. Conway (Routledge, 2002)“Interpreting Kierkegaard,” in Sex, Love, and Friendship, edited by Alan Soble andBarbara Kirshner (Amsterdam and Atlanta: Rodopi, 1997)“Kierkegaard on Doctrine” was translated for inclusion in a Japanese anthology entitledKierkegaard, edited by Kinya Masugata (Kyoto: Showado Co., Ltd., 1993)Videography:“Making Peace with Viet Nam” (2008). Documentary, color/87 minutes.Awards & Recognitions:Best Long Documentary, Beijing International Film Festival (2009)Audience Award, Red Rock Film Festival (2009)Merit Award, The Buddhist Film Festival, Sri Lanka (2009)Official Selection: East Carolina Film Festival (2009)National broadcast on Viet Nam Television (April 2009)Official Selection: NEWFILMMAKERS NY (April 2010)“Religion Serving Humanity” (2010). Short, color/3 minutesProduced for the Pluralism Project at Harvard University“The Monks of Pungo” (2012). Documentary, color/50 minutes.Part one of a 3-part series entitled “Living in the Pure Land.” The film documents the challenges experienced by a group of Vietnamese Pure Land Buddhists as they attempt to establish a temple in a rural Virginiacommunity.Currently in Production:“Living in the Pure Land,” parts 2 and 3.“Finding the Still Point” looks at the history and practice of “mindfulness meditation” and itsgrowing popularity and influence in contemporary Western society. The film also explores theneuroscience of meditation practice and its implications for research in health and education.
Ms. Susan J. Erickson
- Customer Service and the First Year Student by Sue Erickson and Celia Walker, Tennessee Libraries, 59:1.
Dr. Hilve D. Firek
Firek, H. (Winter 2012). How technology is changing the reading and thinking practices of our students: Implications for the English classroom. Virginia English Bulletin.
Firek, H. (Fall 2011). Technology and the reading habits of our students: Implications for the English classroom. Wisconsin English Journal.
Firek, H. (Winter/Spring 2009). We’re all in this together: E-mentoring and student teachers. Statement: The Journal of the Colorado Language Arts Society. (Reprinted with permission from ELQ, October 2004).
Firek, H. (May/June 2006). Creative writing in the social studies classroom: Promoting literacy and content learning. Social Education.
Firek, H. (Spring 2006). Using technology to win the hearts and minds of our students. Illinois English Bulletin.
Cheney, M. and Firek, H. (2005, January). Read and Understand Poetry, Grades 2-3. Evan-Moor.
Firek, H. (2004, October). We’re all in this together: E-mentoring and student teachers. English Leadership Quarterly.
Cheney, M. and Firek, H. (2004). Basic Phonics Skills, Level D. Evan-Moor.
Firek, H. (2003). Ten easy ways to use technology in the English classroom. Heinemann.
Firek, H. (2003, April). One order of ed tech coming up…. You want fries with that? Phi Delta Kappan.
Firek, H. (2002, Fall). Technology and the English teacher: Friend or foe? WILLA.
Cheney, M. and Firek, H. (2002) Readers’ Theater, Grade 4. Evan-Moor.
Gretes, J.A., Firek, H., and Nason, P. (1997) Undergraduate teacher education student perceptions of computer competence as a predictor of actual performance. In ICTE Inc. Proceedings of the 1997 14th Annual International Conference on Technology and Education, Oslo, Norway, (Vol II, pp. 532–534).
Firek, H. (1997). Technology in the language arts classroom. Elements of Writing, Annotated Teacher’s Editions. Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
Firek, H. (1997, Winter). By fifth bell, there were no Nazis. Inquiry in Social Studies: Curriculum, Research, and Instruction.
Purcell, S. and Firek, H. (1995, Spring). The Internet and the English teacher: A match made in cyber-heaven. Virginia English Bulletin.
Firek, H., Morgan, R. and Wolfe, D. (1995, Spring). The viewer, the video, and the poem. Arizona English Bulletin.
Dr. Alain Gabon
- "Le Débat français sur les voiles islamiques intégraux, ou comment la République pervertit la laïcité." Forthcoming in 2014 in SITES. Contemporary French and Francophone Studies.
- “Subway”. New Directory of World Cinema. Volume: France. Edited by Tim Palmer (University of North Carolina Wilmington) and Charlie Michael (University of Wisconsin-Madison). Intellect Press, 2012.
- “La Femme Nikita”. New Directory of World Cinema. Volume: France. Edited by Tim Palmer (University of North Carolina Wilmington) and Charlie Michael (University of Wisconsin-Madison). Intellect Press, 2012.
- "La loi anti-burqa du 12 octobre 2010 : retour sur cinq contre-vérités", Saphir News, Sept. 6, 2011.
- “The Transformation of French Identity in Mathieu Kassovitz’ films Métisse and La Haine.” Transnational Spaces and Identities in the Francophone World. Edited by David Troyansky, Patricia Lorcin, and Hafid Gafaiti. University of Nebraska Press, 2009: 115-146.
- "On the Use of the Word 'Terrorism' in Western Media and Government" Les Cahiers de l’Islam, November 2013
- "Is Islamophobia Losing Ground in France?" Saphir News, November 2013
- "When Governmental Laws Against Religious Expression Lead to Violence" Les Cahiers de l’Islam, October 2013
- "The Goals and Strategies of the Campaigns against French Muslims," Saphir News, August 2013
- "France's High Council on Integration: Laïcité against Religious Freedom" Saphir News, August 2013
- "Egypt: The 5 Reasons of the Coup", Saphir News, August 2013
- "Egypt: Media, Government, and Genocide," Saphir News , August 2013
Mr. David G. Garraty
"The Economic Impact of the Atlantic Intra-coastal Waterway: A Literature Review" published in the Virginia Economic Journal, 2001.
"The Hampton Roads Economic Performance Index Monthly" via news releases, 1991-2000, reported in the Virginian Pilot and the Daily Press.
Mr. Philip Guilfoyle
- Guilfoyle, Phil. "What's That? Thinking in 3D" Tri-State Sculptors Members Exhibition, Piedmont Arts Association, Martinsville, VA. September/October 2006. (Cataloged Exhibition).
- Guilfoyle, Phil. "In Miniature" invitational exhibition, Charles H. Taylor Art Center, Hampton, VA. September/October 2006.
Dr. Benjamin S. Haller
Day, Kirsten and Benjamin Haller. 2014. “καλὸν ἀνθρωπίνου βίου κάτοπτρον:” Popular Culture as a Pedagogical Lens on Greco-Roman Antiquity. Dialogue: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Popular Culture and Pedagogy 1(1). http://journaldialogue.org/issues/issue-1/popular-culture-as-a-pedagogical-lens-on-greco-roman-antiquity/
Haller, Benjamin S. 2014. “Homeric Parody, the Isle of the Blessed, and the Nature of Paideia in Lucian's Verae Historiae.” In The Ancient Novel and the Frontiers of the Genre. A Supplementum to the journal Ancient Narrative.
Day, Kirsten, and Benjamin Haller, co-editors. 2014. "ΚΑΛΟΝ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΙΝΟΥ ΒΙΟΥ ΚΑΤΟΠΤΡΟΝ”: Popular Culture as a Pedagogical Lens on Greco-Roman Antiquity. A special issue of Dialogue: The International Journal of Popular Culture and Pedagogy.
Haller, Benjamin S. 2011. "Doulichion." In Blackwell Homer Encyclopedia, ed. Margalit Finkelberg. Oxford: Blackwell.
------. 2011. "Echinades." In Blackwell Homer Encyclopedia, ed. Margalit Finkelberg. Oxford: Blackwell.
------. 2011. "Geography." In Blackwell Homer Encyclopedia, ed. Margalit Finkelberg. Oxford: Blackwell.
------. 2011. "Ionian Islands." In Blackwell Homer Encyclopedia, ed. Margalit Finkelberg. Oxford: Blackwell.
------. 2011. "Ithaca." In Blackwell Homer Encyclopedia, ed. Margalit Finkelberg. Oxford: Blackwell.
------. 2011. "Landscape." In Blackwell Homer Encyclopedia, ed. Margalit Finkelberg. Oxford: Blackwell.
------. 2011. "Zakynthos." In Blackwell Homer Encyclopedia, ed. Margalit Finkelberg. Oxford: Blackwell.
------. 2009. "Antigone." In The Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Greece and Rome, ed. Michael Gagarin. New York: Oxford University Press.
------. 2009. "Narcissus." In The Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Greece and Rome, ed. Michael Gagarin. New York: Oxford University Press.
------. 2009. “Pandora.” In The Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Greece and Rome, ed. Michael Gagarin. New York: Oxford University Press.
------. 2009 “Pygmalion.” In The Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Greece and Rome, ed. Michael Gagarin. New York: Oxford University Press.
Contributor of articles and Collaborator to the Online Companion to Raia, Ann, and Cecelia Lusching, Judith Lynn Sebasta. 2005. Worlds of Roman Women: A Latin Reader. Newburyport, MA. Focus: http://www2.cnr.edu/home/araia/companion.html.
Dr. Scott R. Hinze
Learning from Tests
- Hinze, S. R., Wiley, J., & Pellegrino, J. W. (2013). The importance of constructive comprehension processes in learning from tests. Journal of Memory and Language.
- Hinze, S. R., & Wiley, J. (2011). Testing the limits of testing effects using completion tests. Memory, 19, 290-304.
- Brown, J. E., Hinze, S. R., & Pellegrino, J. W. (2008). Technology and formative assessment. In Good, T. L. (ed.). 21st Century Education: A Reference Handbook. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Individual Differences and STEM Education
- Hinze, S. R., Williamson, V. M., Deslongchamps, G., Schultz, M. J., Williamson, K. C., & Rapp, D. N. (2013). Textbook treatments of electrostatic potential maps in general and organic chemistry. Journal of Chemical Education.
- Hinze, S. R., Rapp, D. N., Williamson, V. M., Shultz, M. J., Deslongchamps, G., & Williamson, K. C. (2013). Beyond the ball-and-stick: Students’ processing of novel STEM visualizations. Learning and Instruction, 26, 12-21.
- Hinze, S. R., Williamson, V. M., Shultz, M. J., Williamson, K. C., Deslongchamps, G., & Rapp, D. N. (2013). When do spatial abilities support student comprehension of STEM visualizations? Cognitive Processing - International Quarterly of Cognitive Science, 1-14.
- Hinze, S. R., Bunting, M. F., & Pellegrino, J. W. (2009). Strategy selection for cognitive skill acquisition depends on task demands and working memory capacity. Learning and Individual Differences, 19, 590-595.
Learning from Fictional Sources
- Hinze, S. R., Slaten, D. G., Horton, W. S., Jenkins, R., & Rapp, D. N. (in press). Pilgrims sailing the Titanic: Plausibility effects on memory for misinformation. Memory & Cognition.
- Rapp, D. N., Hinze, S. R., Slaten, D. G., & Horton, W. S. (in press). Amazing stories: Acquiring and avoiding inaccurate information from fiction. Discourse Processes.
- Rapp, D. N., Hinze, S. R., Kohlhepp, K., & Ryskin, R. A. (in press). Reducing reliance on inaccurate information. Memory & Cognition.
- Rapp, D.N., Komeda, H., & Hinze, S.R. (2011). Vivifications of literary investigation. The Scientific Study of Literature, 1, 123-135.
Stephen G.B. Hock
- Hock, Stephen. "'A Need to Mourn Abandonment in Advance' in Nathaniel Mackey's From a Broken Bottle Traces of Perfume Still Emanate." Contemporary Literature 55.3 (2014): 534-58. Print.
- Hock, Stephen. "'Stories Told Sideways Out of the Big Mouth': John Dos Passos's Bazinian Camera Eye." Literature/Film Quarterly 33.1 (2005): 20-27. Print.
- Braddock, Jeremy, and Stephen Hock, eds. Directed by Allen Smithee. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2001. Print.
- Hock, Stephen. "Maybe He'd Have to Just Keep Driving, or Pynchon on the Freeway." Pynchon's California. Ed. Scott McClintock and John Miller. Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 2014. 201-19. Print.
- Hock, Stephen. "Comix Remix; or, The Strange Case of Mr. Chabon." Michael Chabon's America: Magical Words, Secret Worlds, and Sacred Spaces. Ed. Jesse Kavadlo and Bob Batchelor. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2014. 81-96. Print.
- Hock, Stephen. "This Is Too Big for One Old Name: Hitchcock and Smithee in the Signature Centrifuge." Directed by Allen Smithee. Ed. Jeremy Braddock and Stephen Hock. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2001. 175-205. Print.
- Braddock, Jeremy, and Stephen Hock. "The Specter of Illegitimacy in an Age of Disillusion and Crisis." Introduction. Directed by Allen Smithee. Ed. Jeremy Braddock and Stephen Hock. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2001. 3-27. Print.
- Hock, Stephen. Rev. of Thomas Pynchon and the Dark Passages of History, by David Cowart. Journal of American Culture 35.3 (2012): 285-86. Print.
Dr. Kellie D. Holzer
"'More Ridiculous Than Sad': Editing the Matrimonials in the London Journal." Nineteenth-Century Contexts 36.3 (July 2014).
"The Body Writes Back: Self-Possession in Mr. Meeson's Will." Nineteenth-Century Gender Studies 8.3 (Winter 2012).
"Novel Conceptualizations of the Modern Housewife in Colonial North India." South Asian Review 29.2 (Fall 2009).
Joyce B. Howell
- “Questions that Matter: Using Inquiry-Guided Faculty Development to Create an Inquiry-Guided Learning Curriculum,” Lisa Carstens co-author, in Lee, V.S., Ed., Inquiry-guided learning. New Directions For Teaching and Learning, No.129, San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2012, 51-59.
- “Review, Photographic Memories: Private pictures, Public Images, and American History, Robert Kroes,” Journal of American Culture, v 31, #, #1, Mar. 2008
- “Eugène Delacroix’s Review of Le Dessin sans maître and the modernized discourse of drawing,” Word & Image, v. 21, no. 3, Aug.-Dec., 2005
- “Review, Encyclopedia of American Folk Art, Gerard C. Wertkin, Ed.,” Journal of American Culture, v 27, #4, Dec. 2004
- "Delacroix's Lithographs of Antique Coins," Gazette des Beaux-Arts, July-Aug. 1994, 15-24.
- "Eugène Delacroix and Color: Practice, Theory, and Legend," Athanor, II, 1982, 37-43.
Lawrence D. Hultgren
- Hultgren, Larry. "Review, Is There An Ethicist in the House? On the Cutting Edge of Bioethics, by Jonathan D. Moreno." Metapsychology, 10.50, 2006. http://mentalhelp.net/books/.
- Hultgren, Larry. "Review, Bioethics Beyond the Headlines, by Albert R. Jonsen. Metapsychology, 10.28, 2006. http://mentalhelp.net/books/.
- Hultgren, Larry. "Review, Clinical Ethics: A Practical Approach to Ethical Decisions in Clinical Medicine, by Albert Johnsen, Mark Siegler, and William Winslade." Metapsychology, 9.46, 2005. http://mentalhelp.net/books/.
- Hultgren, Larry. "Review, What Price Better Health? Hazards of the Research Imperative, by Daniel Callahan." Metapsychology, 8.39, 2004. http://mentalhelp.net/books/.
- Hultgren, Larry. "Review of Michael Maniates, ed., Encountering Global Environmental Politics: Teaching, Learning, and Empowering Knowledge," H-Environment, H-Net Reviews, September, 2003. http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.cgi?path=317411070964584.
- Hultgren, Larry. "Review, Genetic Politics: From Eugenics to Genome, by Ann Kerr and Thomas Shakespeare." Metapsychology, 7.24, 2003. http://mentalhelp.net/books/.
- Hultgren, Larry. "Review, Values in Conflict: the University, the Marketplace, and the Trials of Liberal Education by Paul Axelrod." Metapsychology, 6.47, 2002. http://mentalhelp.net/books/.
- Hultgren, Larry. "Review, Human Trials: Scientists, Investors, and Patients in the Quest for a Cure, by Susan Quinn." Metapsychology, 6.26, 2002. http://mentalhelp.net/books/.
- Hultgren, Larry. "Review, Genome: Updated Edition, by Jerry Bishop and Michael Waldholz." Metapsychology, 5.26, 2001. http://mentalhelp.net/books/.
- Hultgren, Larry. "Review, Doing Good, by Jeffrey Kottler." Metapsychology, 5.1, 2001. http://mentalhelp.net/books/.
- Hultgren, Larry. "Review, Ethics in Plain English: An Illustrative Casebook for Psychologists, by Thomas Nagy." Metapsychology, 4.42, 2000. http://mentalhelp.net/books/.
- Hultgren, Larry. "Review, The Moral Intelligence: How to Raise a Moral Child, by Robert Coles." Metapsychology, 4.26, 2000. http://mentalhelp.net/books/.
- Hultgren, Larry. "Review, The Last Physician: Walker Percy and the Moral Life of Medicine, by Carl Elliott and John Lantos, eds." Metapsychology, 4.9, 2000. http://mentalhelp.net/books/.
Dr. Kathy Merlock Jackson
- Editor, regular contribution of book reviews for The Journal of American Culture.
- Regular publication of columns focusing on popular television shows or trends in broadcasting for Port Folio Weekly (8 years).
- Jackson, Kathy Merlock and Mark D. Arnold. "Baby-Boom Children and Harvey Comics After the Code: A Neighborhood of Little Girls and Boys." ImageTexT: Interdisciplinary Comics Studies. 3.3 (2007). Dept of English, University of Florida. 22 Jun. 2007. http://www.english.ufl.edu/imagetext/archives/v3_3/jackson/.
- Jackson, Kathy Merlock. Foreword to Cicero, Classicism and Popular Culture by Marshall Fishwick. Binghamton, NY: Haworth, 2007.
- Jackson, Kathy Merlock, ed. Walt Disney: Conversations. Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 2006.
- Jackson, Kathy Merlock. "When Fantasy Becomes Reality: Who Wants to Be a Superhero?!" Film and History Conference Proceedings - "The Documentary Tradition." Eds. Peter C. Rollins, John E. O'Connor, and James Knecht. CD-ROM. 2006.
- Jackson, Kathy Merlock and Ray Merlock. "Leaving Rosebud, Leaving the Valley: Vestiges of Childhood in Two Classic Films from 1941," The Journal of American Culture, 29.3 (2006): 296-306.
- Jackson, Kathy Merlock, ed. Rituals and Patterns in Children's Lives. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2005.
- Jackson, Kathy Merlock. "Psychological First Aid: The Hallmark Company, Greeting Cards, and the Response to September 11." The Journal of American Culture 28.1 (2005): 11-28.
- Jackson, Kathy Merlock. "Mickey and the Tramp: Walt Disney's Debt to Charlie Chaplin." The Journal of American Culture 26.4 (2003): 439-444.
- Jackson, Kathy Merlock. "Boyhood in Film." Encyclopedia of Boyhood in American Culture, Santa Barbara, CA: ABC/CLIO, 2003.
- Jackson, Kathy Merlock. "Leon Schlesinger" and "Ub Iwerks." American National Biography. Sup. 1. Eds. Paul Betz and Mark C. Carnes. New York: Oxford University Press, 2002.
- Jackson, Kathy Merlock. "The Johnstown Flood (1889): Magnates, Mill Workers, Mud, and Misery.” Ordinary Reactions to Extraordinary Events. Eds. Ray B. Browne and Art Neal. Bowling Green: Bowling Green State University Popular Press, 2001.
- Jackson, Kathy Merlock. "Animation." Encyclopedia of American Studies. Eds. Kurian, George T., et al. Bethel, CT: Grolier, 2001.
- Jackson, Kathy Merlock. "From Control to Adaptation: America's Toy Story." Journal of American and Comparative Cultures 24.1/2 (2001): 139-145.
Dr. Carol V. Johnson
- Johnson, Carol V. "Latin America and Adoption." The Praeger Handbook of Adoption. 2 vols. Ed. Kathy Shepherd Stolley and Vern L. Bullough. Wesport, CT: Praeger, 2006.
Ms. Lee Jordan-Anders
- Jordan-Anders, Lee. Picture This! A Gallery of Musical Canvases Framed by Fine Artworks from the Chrysler Museum of Art, 2003.
Dr. Douglas A. Kennedy
- Kennedy, Doug, Singleton, J, and Genoe, R. "History of Recreation." In Introduction to Recreation and Leisure. Champaign: Human Kinetics Press, 2006.
Dr. Susan E. Larkin
- “Rags over Riches: Disney and Redemption in Pollyanna and Summer Magic.” Forthcoming in Walt Disney and His Narratives: From Reader to Storyteller, Kathy Merlock Jackson and Mark I. West, eds. Print.
- Review of Negotiating a Perilous Empowerment: Appalachian Women’s Literacies. By Heather Locklear, Journal of American Culture. 35.4 (Winter 2012): 375-6. Print.
- “Mixing gender and crossing disciplines: Team Teaching in Women’s Studies Classes.” With Harold E. Dorton, Jr. Academic Exchange Quarterly 16.12 (2012): 38-43. Print.
- “Laura Ingalls Wilder.” The Literary Encyclopedia. 23 March 2009. Web.
- Review of Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Writer’s Life, by Pamela Smith Hill, The Lion and the Unicorn 33.1 (Winter 2009): 104-107. Print.
- “Life Writing/Writing a Culture: Laura Ingalls Wilder.” MidAmerica. 34 (2007): 118-125. Print.
- “Laura’s Story: Gender, Autobiography, and the Little House Books.” a/b: Auto/Biography Studies 22.2 (2007): 250-269. Print.
- “Illusion and Discourse as Survival Tools: Shifting Subjectivities and Identity in Adolescent Literature.” The National Popular Culture & American Culture Association Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, April 2014.
- “Disney’s Sentimental Fiction.” International Popular Culture Association Conference, Warsaw, Poland, July 2013.
- “Playing Dress Up: Illusion, Power, and the Female Adolescent.” International Conference of the Children’s Literature Association, Biloxi, MS, June 2013.
- “Children’s Literature in ‘Adult’ Courses.” International Conference of the Children’s Literature Association, Boston, MA, June 2012.
- “Fairy Tale Makeovers: Style or Substance.” The National Popular Culture & American Culture Association Annual Conference, Boston, MA, April 2012.
- “The Body Beautiful? Fairy Tale Revisions and the Female Body.” International Conference of the Children’s Literature Association, Roanoke, VA, June 2011.
- “The Female Body as Classroom Object: Gendered rules for consumption?” With Harold Dorton. The National Popular Culture & American Culture Association Annual Conference, San Antonio, TX, April 2011.
- “The Politics of Mixed Gender Team Teaching in Women’s Studies Classes.” With Harold Dorton. The National Popular Culture & American Culture Association Annual Conference, St. Louis, MO, April 2010.
- “A Knucklehead, a Bad Boy and a Yo-yo: The Autobiographies of Walter Dean Myers, Jerry Spinelli, and Jon Scieszka.” International Conference of the Children’s Literature Association, Charlotte, NC, June 2009.
- “Stepping Outside Myself: Considering Multiculturalism.” International Conference of the Children’s Literature Association, Newport News, VA, June 2007.
- “Life Writing/Writing a Culture: Laura Ingalls Wilder.” Writing the Midwest Symposium, Lansing, MI, May 2007.
- “From Damsels to Demons: Transforming the Bildungsroman.” International Conference of the Children’s Literature Association, Manhattan Beach, CA, June 2006.
- Session Organizer, “American Girls Don’t Need Dolls: Examining, Voicing, and Defining the American Girl.” Modern Critical Approaches to Children’s Literature Conference, Nashville, TN, April 2005.
- “Still on the Frontier: The Little House Books as Women’s Texts.” Modern Critical Approaches to Children’s Literature Conference, Nashville, TN, April 2005.
- “Haunted: Gothic Influences on the Bildungsroman.” Midwest Modern Language Association Conference, Chicago, IL, November 2003.
- “A Reading and Analysis of Summer of My German Soldier.” Banned Book Reading and Evaluation, Illinois State University, Normal, IL., September 2003.
- “Woman or Werewolf: Shifting Subjectivities in Annette Curtis Klause’s Blood and Chocolate.” Modern Critical Approaches to Children’s Literature Conference, Nashville, TN, April 2003.
- “Walking the Unbeaten Path: Cynthia Voigt’s Subversion of the School Story.” International Conference of the Children’s Literature Association, Wilkes-Barre, PA, June 2002.
- “The Body Tale.” Fat Talk Week Panel, VWC, Norfolk, VA, October 2011.
- “Anne Frank: Bringing Memoir of Age.” Anne Frank: Lessons for a New Century, Norfolk, VA, April 2010.
- “Do You Believe in Magic?: Considering Power, Agency, and Wizardry in the Harry Potter Novels.” Midwest Modern Language Association Conference, Chicago, IL, November 2006.
- “A Reading and Analysis of The Giver.” Banned Book Reading and Evaluation, Illinois State University, Normal, IL, September 2004.
- A Reading and Analysis of Blood and Chocolate.” Banned Book Reading and Evaluation, Illinois State University, Normal, IL, September 2002.
- “Everyone Poops But No One Talks About It.” Ewing English Studies Symposium, Illinois State University, Normal, IL, April 2002.
- “A Reading and Analysis of The Great Gilly Hopkins.” Banned Book Reading and Evaluation, Illinois State University, Normal, IL, September 2001.
- “Teaching for the First Time.” Illinois State University Writing Program Orientation, Normal, IL, January, 2001.
- “Co-Teaching, Myth or Utopia?” Ewing English Studies Symposium, Illinois State University, Normal, IL, April 2000.
Mr. Stephen G. Leist
- “The Presidency of Raymond F. McLain,” Transylvania Treasures, Vol. 5, No. 2, Summer 2012.
- Presentation Kentucky Library Association, Academic Section Spring Meeting 2012, on “Student Training for Excellent Customer Service”.
- “The Exceptional Dr. Rose,” Transylvania Treasures, Vol. V, No. 1, Spring 2012.
- “Current Perspectives on Organ Research, American Organ Archives,” The Diapason, August 2003.
- “The American Classic Organ in Letters: A Case Study in Controversy,” The Tracker (Journal of the Organ Historical Society), Vol. 47, No. 3 (2003).
- “The Organs of Christ Church Cathedral, Lexington, Kentucky.” The Tracker, Vol. 46, No. 3 (2002).
- The History of Music of Christ Church Cathedral, 1796-1996. Versailles, Kentucky: Deerhaven Press, 1998.
Dr. Terrence Lindvall
- Lindvall, Terry. "God in the Saddle: Silent Western Films as Protestant Sermons." Australian Religious Studies Review 21.3 (2009): 318-344.
- Lindvall, Terry. "Silent Cinema and Religion: An Overview (1895-1930)." The Routledge Companion to Religion and Film. Ed. John Lyden. New York: Routledge, 2009.
- Lindvall, Terry, ed. Opening the Doors: Faith and Literature. Boston: Beford/St. Martin Press, 2008.
- Lindvall, Terry, ed.. Opening the Doors: Faith and Literature. Boston: Beford/St. Martin Press, 2008.
- Lindvall, Terry."Local Television Evening News." State of the Region: Hampton Roads 2008. Ed. James V. Koch. Old Dominion University, 2008.
- Lindvall, Terry. "Moving from Film to Digital Movies." Understanding Evangelical Media: The Changing Face of Christian Communication. Eds. Quentin J. Schultze and Robert H. Woods. Downers Grove, IL:InterVarsity Press, 2008. 58-70.
- Lindvall, Terry. "Cinema Virtue, Cinema Vice: Race, Religion, and Film Exhibition in Norfolk, Virginia, 1908-1922." Hollywood in the Neighborhood: Historical Case Studies of Local Moviegoing. Ed. Kathryn Fuller-Seeley. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2008. 91-103.
- Lindvall, Terry. "Sundays in Norfolk: Toward a Protestant Utopia Through Film Exhibition in Norfolk, Virginia, 1910-1920." Going to the Movies: Hollywood and the Social Experience of Cinema. Eds. Richard Maltby, Melvyn Stokes, and Robert Allen. Exeter, UK: University of Exeter Press, 2008. 76-93.
- Lindvall, Terrence R., William J. Brown, and John D. Keeler. "Audience Responses to The Passion of the Christ." Journal of Media and Religion 6.2 (2007): 87-107.
- Lindvall, Terry. Sanctuary Cinema: Origins of the Christian Film Industry. New York: New York University Press, 2007.
- Lindvall, Terry. The Mother of all Laughter: Sarah & the Genesis of Comedy. Nashville: Broadman and Holman, 2003.
- Lindvall, Terry. The Silents Of God: Selected Issues & Documents In Silent American Film & Religion, 1908-1925. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2001.
Dr. David J. Lorenzo
- Lorenzo, David. "Hsièn Kăi in Taiwan: Assessing Possible Constitutional Models." American Journal of Chinese Studies, Vol. 14, No. 2 (October 2007): 153-165.
- Lorenzo, David. "Gladstone, Religious Freedom, and Practical Reasoning." History of Political Thought, Vol. 26, No. 1 (April 2005): 90-119.
- Lorenzo, David. "Tradition and Prudence in Locke's Exceptions to Toleration." American Journal of Political Science, Vol. 47, No. 2 (April 2003): 248-58.
- Lorenzo, David. "Attaining Rogers Smith's Civic Ideals." Political Theory, Vol. 30, No. 3 (June 2002): 357-83.
Dr. Travis B. Malone
Malone, Travis. "Utopia, Nostalgia, and Community in Grease: How a Film Can Create a Stage Legacy." Theatre Annual. 63. College of William and Mary, Fall 2010.
Malone, Travis. Book Review. Shadowed Cocktails: The Plays of Philip Barry from Paris Bound to The Philadelphia Story by Donald R. Anderson. The Journal of American Culture. Hoboken: Wiley-Blackwell, October 2011.
Malone, Travis. Book Review. American Political Plays after 9/11. Allan Havis ed. The Journal of American Culture. Hoboken: Wiley-Blackwell, October 2010.
Electronic Publications and Educational Materials
“Theatre,” Core Concepts in the Arts and Humanities DVD-ROM, New York: McGraw-Hill, (Content in production for CreativeMyndz Productions) March 2005.
“Film,” Core Concepts in the Arts and Humanities DVD-ROM, New York: McGraw-Hill, (Content in production for CreativeMyndz Productions) March 2005.
The Projector: An Electronic Journal on Film, Media, and Culture. Published by the Department of Theatre and Film at Bowling Green State University. A peer-reviewed journal featuring an pre-eminent international editorial board.
Dr. Daniel S. Margolies
- Margolies, ed., A Companion to Harry S. Truman (forthcoming, Blackwell, 2012)
- "Voz de Pueblo Chicano: Sustainability, Teaching, and Intangible Cultural Transfer in Conjunto Music," Journal of American Culture 34:1 (March, 2011): 36-48.
- Spaces of Law in American Foreign Relations: Extradition and Extraterritoriality in the Borderlands and Beyond, 1877-1898. (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 2011).
- "The Ill-defined Fiction of Extraterritoriality’ and Sovereign Exception in Late Nineteenth Century U.S. Foreign Relations"Southwestern Law Review 40 (2011): 574- 603.
- "Transmission of Conjunto Music in the 21st Century,” International Journal of Intangible Heritage 6:2 (2011): 26-33.
- "Latino Migrant Music and Identity in the Borderlands of the New South," Journal of American Culture 32:2 (June, 2009): 114-125.
- Margolies, Dan. "Polkas, Polkas, y Mas Polkas: The Tejano Conjunto Festival in San Antonio," The Old Time Herald: A Magazine Dedicated to Old Time Music 11:3 (February-March, 2008): 32-38.
- Margolies, Dan. "Speedy Krise, Old Time Dobro Player," The Old Time Herald: A Magazine Dedicated to Old Time Music 11: 2 (December, 2007-January, 2008).
- Margolies, Dan. "I Have But One Goal: Molly O'Day and the Gospel in Old Time Country Music," The Old Time Herald: A Magazine Dedicated to Old Time Music 11: 2 (December, 2007-January, 2008), cover mention.
- Margolies, Dan. "The Battle of the Alamo 1836," "The Battle of Bull Run 1861," "The Battle of Little Big Horn 1876," and "The Sand Creek Massacre 1864." Encyclopedia of Disasters, Accidents, and Crises in American History. Ed. Ballard Campbell. New York: Facts on File, 2007.
- Margolies, Dan. "Robert E. Lee: Heroic, But Not the Polio Vaccine," Reviews in American History 35:3 (2007): 385-392.
- Margolies, Dan. "Review of Helen Duffy, The 'War on Terror' and the Framework of International Law," H-Diplo, H-Net Reviews, March, 2007. http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.cgi?path=26031179420475
- Margolies, Dan. Henry Watterson and the New South: The Politics of Empire, Free Trade, and Globalization. Lexington: University Press of Kentucky, 2006.
- Margolies, Dan. "Review of James C. Cobb and William Stueck, eds. Globalization and the American South" and Review of Harry L. Watson, and Carrie R. Matthews, eds., The American South in a Global World," H-South, H-Net Reviews, June, 2006. http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.cgi?path=78351160772984
- Margolies, Dan. "Mine that Vein: The John Donald Robb Field Recordings of Southwestern Music, 1944-1979," The Old Time Herald: A Magazine Dedicated to Old Time Music 10:5 (June 2006): 27.
- Margolies, Dan. "The Sandia Hots: Spicing Up Old Time Music with the Sounds of the Southwest," The Old Time Herald: A Magazine Dedicated to Old Time Music 10:5 (June, 2006): 22-29. Cover story.
- Margolies, Dan. "Ladder-braced Guitars and the Enduring Mysteries of the Old Time Sound," The Old Time Herald: A Magazine Dedicated to Old Time Music 10:2 (Winter, 2005): 11-15.
- Margolies, Dan. "Saturday Night at Wayne's Body Shop in Portsmouth, Virginia," The Old Time Herald: A Magazine Dedicated to Old Time Music 9:3 (Spring 2004): 14-18.
Dr. Gabriela A. Martorell
Bugental, D. B., Olster, D. H. & Martorell, G. A. (2003). A developmental neuroscience perspective on the dynamics of parenting. In L. Kuczynski (Ed.), Handbook of Dynamics in Parent-Child Relationships. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
Myrick, S. E. & Martorell, G. A. (2010). Sticks and stones may break my bones: Protective factors against perceived discrimination on social competence in adolescence, Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 18, 487-501.
Martorell, S. & Martorell, G. A. (2006). Bridging uncharted waters in Georgia: Down syndrome association of Atlanta outreach to Latino/a families. American Journal of Community Psychology, 37, 1827-1833.
Martorell, G. A., Bugental, D. B. (2006). Maternal variations in stress reactivity: Implications for harsh parenting practices with very young children. Journal of Family Psychology, 20(4), 641-647.
Bugental, D. B., Martorell, G. A. & Barraza, V (2003). The hormonal costs of subtle forms of infant maltreatment. Hormones and Behavior, 43, 237-244.
Lin, E. K., Bugental. D. B., Turek, V., Martorell, G. A. & Olster, D. H. (2002). Children’s vocal properties as mobilizers of stress-related physiological responses in adults. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 28, 346-357.
Bugental, D. B. & Martorell, G. (1999). Competition between friends: The joint influence of perceived power of self, friends and parents. Journal of Family Psychology, 13, 1-14.
Martorell, G. A., Papalia, D. & Feldman, R. (in progress). Experience Human Development. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Martorell, G. A., Papalia, D.& Feldman, R. (2013). A Child’s World. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Martorell, G. A. (2012). Child. New York: McGraw-Hill
Associate Producer, McGraw-Hill, Study Smart. Short films describing concepts in developmental psychology, 2013.
Associate Producer, AKLearning, Milestones of Development. Short films illustrating concepts in developmental psychology, 2007-2012.
Educational consultant, Dark Blue Morning Productions, Discovering Psychology. Short films illustrating concepts in psychology, 2008.
Educational consultant, Dark Blue Morning Productions, World of Psychology. Cross-cultural examination of themes in psychology, 2008.
Associate producer, McGraw-Hill. Faces of Abnormal Psychology, volume 2. Clinical profiles of 11 individuals suffering from psychopathology, 2003.
Dr. Eric M. Mazur
Author, “The Gospel According to Comic Strips: On Peanuts, The Far Side, and B.C.” In Godly Heretics: Essays on Alternative Christian Views in Literature and Other Media, ed. Marc DiPaolo, 143-161. McFarland & Co., 2013.
Author, “Religion, Race, and the American Constitutional Order.” In Faith and Race in American Political Life, ed. Robin Dale Jacobson and Nancy D. Wadsworth, 33-55. University of Virginia Press, 2012.
Author, “Dar al-Constitutional: Islam in the American Constitutional Order.” Connecticut Public Interest Law Journal 11, 2 (Spring/Summer 2012): 183-220.
Editor, Encyclopedia of Religion & Film (ABC-CLIO, 2011).
Co-editor (with Kate McCarthy), God in the Details: American Religion in Popular Culture, 2nd ed. (Routledge, 2010).
Author, “Going My Way? Crosby and Catholicism on the Road to America.” In “Going My Way”: Bing Crosby and American Culture, ed. Ruth Prigozy and Walter Raubicheck, 17-33. University of Rochester Press, 2007.
Co-author (with Phillip E. Hammond and David W. Machacek), Religion on Trial: How Supreme Court Trends Threaten the Freedom of Conscience in America (Alta Mira, 2004).
Editor, Art & the Religious Impulse (Bucknell University Press, 2002).
Co-editor (with Kate McCarthy), God in the Details: American Religion in Popular Culture (Routledge, 2001).
Author, The Americanization of Religious Minorities: Confronting the Constitutional Order (Johns Hopkins University Press, 1999).
Dr. Stuart C. Minnis
“Andrei Tarkovsky.” The Encyclopedia of Religion and Film. Eric Mazur, ed. New York: ABC-CLIO, 2011.
“Roughened Form of Time, Space, and Character in The Mirror.” The Quarterly Review of Film and Video 25:3 (May 2008): 241-250.
Review of Winston Wheeler Dixon and Gwendolyn Audrey Foster, eds., Experimental Cinema: The Film Reader. The Journal of Film and Video 55.2/3 (Summer/Fall 2003): 104-107.
“Andrei Tarkovsky.” The Encyclopedia of Filmmakers. John Tibbetts and James Welsh, eds. New York: Facts on File Press, 2002.
“Sergei Paradjanov.” The Encyclopedia of Filmmakers. John Tibbetts and James Welsh, eds. New York: Facts on File Press, 2002.
“Physiological Problematics in Immersive Virtual Environments.” The Journal of Moving Image Studies 1.1 (Fall 2001).
“Digitalization and the Instrumentalist Approach to the Photographic Image.” Iris 25 (Spring 1998): 49-59.
“Response to Peter Lehman’s ‘Pluralism versus the Correct Position’.” Cinema Journal 37:2 (Winter 1998): 92-95.
“The Handmaid’s Tale.” The Encyclopedia of Novels into Film. James Welsh and John Tibbetts, eds. New York: Facts on File Press, 1998.
“The Name of the Rose.” The Encyclopedia of Novels into Film. James Welsh and John Tibbetts, eds. New York: Facts on File Press, 1998.
"Sergei Paradjanov.” The Encyclopedia of Filmmakers. John Tibbetts and James Welsh, eds. New York: Facts on File Press, 2002.
“The Handmaid’s Tale.” The Encyclopedia of Novels into Film. James Welsh and John Tibbetts, eds. New York: Facts on File Press, 1998.
“The Name of the Rose.” The Encyclopedia of Novels into Film. James Welsh and John Tibbetts, eds. New York: Facts on File Press, 1998.
Dr. Taryn A. Myers
Myers, T. A., Ridolfi, D. R., & Crowther, J. H. (2014). Reaction times to appearance-related or nonappearance-related word choice among women with and without eating psychopathology. Cognitive Therapy and Research. Advanced Online Publication. doi: 10.1007/s10608-014-9653-5.
Smolak, L., Murnen, S. K., & Myers, T. A. (2014). Development of Self-Sexualization Behavior Questionnaires for emerging adults. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 38, 363-378. doi:10.1177/0361684314524168.
Myers, T. A., Ridolfi, D. R., Crowther, J. H., & Ciesla, J. (2012). The impact of appearance-focused social comparisons on body image disturbance in the naturalistic environment: The roles of thin-ideal internalization and feminist beliefs. Body Image, 9, 342-351. doi: 10.1016/j.bodyim.2012.03.005.
Ridolfi, D. R., Myers, T. A., Crowther, J. H., & Ciesla, J. (2011). An examination of a potential moderator of the relationship between naturally occurring social comparisons to peers and media images and body image disturbance. Sex Roles, 65, 491-505. doi: 10.1007/s11199-011-9961-0.
Myers, T.A., & Crowther, J. H. (2009). Social comparison as a predictor of body dissatisfaction: A meta-analytic review. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 118, 283-298. doi: 10.1037/a0016763.
Myers, T. A., & Crowther, J. H. (2008). Is self-objectification related to interoceptive awareness? An examination of potential mediating pathways to disordered eating attitudes. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 32, 172-180. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 32, 172-180. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-6402.2008.00421.x.
Leahey, T., Myers, T., Gunstad, J., Glickman, E., Spitznagel, M., Alexander, T., & Juvancic-Heltzel, J. (2008). AB40 is associated with cognitive function, body fat, and physical fitness in healthy older adults. Nutritional Neuroscience,10, 205-9. doi: 10.1080/10284150701676156.
Myers, T. A., & Crowther, J. H. (2007). Sociocultural pressures, thin-ideal internalization, self-objectification, and body dissatisfaction: Could feminist beliefs be a moderating factor? Body Image, 4, 296-308. doi: 10.1016/j.bodyim.2007.04.001.
Mr. Gavin M. Pate
- Pate, Gavin. The Way to Get Here. Lowell, Mass: Bootstrap Press, 2006.
Dr. Lisa Lyon Payne
- Payne, L.L. and Mills, T.C. (2014). What’s in the Pages? A Current Look at College Newspaper Content from Various Collegiate Environments. College Media Review 51, 58-69.
Jackson, K, M. Payne, L.L., and Stolley, K.S. (2013). Celebrity Treatment: The Intersection of Star Culture and Medical Tourism in American Society. The Journal of American Culture 36 (2) 124-133.
Payne, L. L., (2012). Black and White and Still Read All Over: Examining the State of College Newspapers in a Turbulent Time. College Media Review 50 (2) 18-25.
Lyon, L. (2006). Synthesizing Crisis Communication and Reputation Management: An Experimental Examination of Memory. Journal of Promotion Management 12 (3/4) 161-188.
- Sallot, L., Lyon, L, Acosta-Alzuru, C. and Jones, K. (2005). From Aardvark to Zebra Redux: An Analysis of Theory Development in Public Relations Academic Journals Into the 21st Century. In T. Hansen Horn (Ed.), Public Relations Theory. Allyn & Bacon: Boston, MA.
- Lyon, L. (2005). Publicity. In Robert Heath (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Public Relations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Lyon, L. (2005). Backgrounder. In Robert Heath (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Public Relations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Lyon, L. and Cameron G.T. (2004). A Relational Approach Examining the Interplay of Prior Reputation and Immediate Response to a Crisis. Journal of Public Relations Research, 16 (3) 239-268.
- Sallot, L. and Lyon, L.(2003). Teaching Public Relations Writing. In L. M. Sallot and B.J. DeSanto (Eds.), Learning to Teach: What you need to know to develop a successful career as a PR educator (3rd ed.). PRSA Educators' Academy: New York.
- Sallot, L, and Lyon, L. (2003). Investigating Effects of Tolerance-Intolerance of Ambiguity and the Teaching of Public Relations Writing: A Quasi Experiment. Journalism and Mass Communication Educator, 58 (3) 251-272.
- Sallot, L., Lyon, L, Acosta-Alzuru, C. and Jones, K. (2003). From Aardvark to Zebra Phase II: A New Millennium Analysis of Theory Development in Public Relations Academic Journals. Journal of Public Relations Research, 15 (1) 27-90.
- Lyon, L. (2003). How Public Relations Communicators Can Learn From And Prepare For Crises. Proceedings of the Annual Georgia Communication Association Convention, 73, 10.
- Park, J, Lyon, L. and Cameron G.T. (2001). Does Reputation Management Reap Rewards? A Path Analysis of Corporate Reputation Advertising's Impacts on Brand Attitudes and Purchase Decisions. Web Journal of Mass Communication Research. Available: www.scripps.ohoiu.edu/wjmcr/.
- Lyon, L. (2001). Hands on the Big Apple: How Experiential Learning Strengthens the Integration of Theory and Practice. Proceedings of the Annual Georgia Communication Association Convention, 70, 25-28.
- Lyon, L. and Cameron, G.T. (1998). Fess Up or Stonewall? An Experimental Test of Prior Reputation and Response Style in the Face of Negative News Coverage. Web Journal of Mass Communication Research. Available: www.scripps.ohoiu.edu/wjmcr/.
- Lyon, L. and McKearney White, C. (1997). Is Any Press Good Press? The Influence of Negative Information on Brand Choice. In C. M. Macklin (Ed.), Proceedings of the American Academy of Advertising (pp.187-191), Cincinnati, OH
Dr. Paul B. Rasor
- Reclaiming Prophetic Witness: Liberal Religion in the Public Square (Boston: Skinner House Books, 2012).
- From Jamestown to Jefferson: The Evolution of Religious Freedom in Virginia (University of Virginia Press, 2011) (co-editor)
- "The War Discourses of William Ellery Channing: Pacifism and Just War in Antebellum Religious Liberalism," Journal for the History of Modern Theology/Zeitschrift für neuere Theologiegeschichte vol. 17 (2010):35-72.
- "Identity, Covenant, and Commitment," in John Gibb Millspaugh, ed., A People So Bold (Boston: Skinner House Books, 2009).
- "Theological and Political Liberalisms," Journal of Law and Religion vol. 24 (2009):433-462.
- "Forward," in Frederic John Muir, ed., The Whole World Kin: Darwin and the Spirit of Liberal Religion (Boston: Skinner House Books, 2009).
- Review of Rex Ahdar and Ian Leigh, Religious Freedom in the Liberal State (Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2005), in Journal of Church and State vol. 50 (2008):359-61.
- "Beyond Just War and Pacifism: Toward a Unitarian Universalist Theology of Prophetic Nonviolence," Journal of Liberal Religion vol. 8 (2008). http://www.meadville.edu/journal/LL_JLR_v8_n1_Rasor.pdf.
- "Postmodernity, Globalization, and the Challenge of Identity in Liberal Theology," in Clifford M. Reed and Jill K. McAllister, eds., The Home We Share: Globalization, Post-Modernism and Unitarian/Universalist Theology (Caerphilly, Wales: International Council of Unitarians and Universalists, 2007):57-73.
- Review of Elizabeth Anne Oldmixon, God, Sex, and the U.S. House of Representatives (Georgetown University Press, 2005), in Journal of Church and State vol. 48 (2006):897-98.
- Faith Without Certainty: Liberal Theology in the 21st Century (Boston: Skinner House, 2005).
- "The Postmodern Challenge to Liberal Theology," Unitarian Universalist Christian vol. 58 (2003):5-56.
- "Reclaiming Our Prophetic Voice: Liberal Theology and the Challenge of Racism," in Marjorie Bowens-Wheatley and Nancy Palmer Jones, eds., Soul Work: Anti-Racist Theologies in Dialogue (Boston: Skinner House Books, 2003):105-123.
- "Intersubjective Communication and the Self in Wieman and Habermas," American Journal of Theology and Philosophy vol. 21 (September, 2000):269-287.
- “The Self in Contemporary Liberal Religion: A Constructive Critique,” Journal of Liberal Religion 1 (1999):1-23.
- “Biblical Roots of Modern Consumer Credit Law,” Journal of Law and Religion 10 (1993):157-92.
Dr. Philip Rock
- Nickol, B.B., C.A. Fuller, and P. Rock. 2006. Cystacanths of Oncicola venezuelensis (Acanthocephala: Oligacanthorynchidae) in Caribbean Termites and Various Paratenic Hosts in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Journal of Parasitology 92:539-542.
- Fuller, C.A., Rock, P., Philips, T.J. 2003. Behavior, Color Changes and Predation Risk Induced by Acanthocephalan Parasitism in theCaribbean Termite Nasutitermes acajutlae, Caribbean Journal of Science 39: (1):128-135.
Mr. John M. Rudel
- Rudel, John. "Things Tell Stories," Art Gallery Lorrie Saunders, Norfolk, VA, 2008.
- Rudel, John. "Hampton Roads Photographers," (curated by James Jones), Charles Taylor Arts Center, Hampton, VA 2006.
- Rudel, John. "Doors," Grove Arcade, Asheville, NC, 2006.
- Rudel, John. "Mid-Atlantic Juried Exhibition," D'Art Center, Norfolk, VA, 2006.
- Rudel, John. "Really Digital" (curated by Michael Preble), Peninsula Fine Arts Center, Newport News, VA, 2006.
Dr. Maynard H. Schaus
- Schaus, M. H., M. J. Vanni, and T. E. Wissing. 2002. Biomass-dependent diet shifts in omnivorous gizzard shad: Implications for growth, food web, and ecosystem effects. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 131:40-54.
- Vanni, M.J., W.H. Renwick, J.L. Headworth, J.D. Auch, and M.H. Schaus. 2001. Dissolved and particulate nutrient flux from three adjacent agricultural watersheds: A five year study. Biogeochemistry 54:85-114.
Dr. Sara Sewell
“Bolshevizing Communist Women: The Red Women and Girls’ League in Weimar Germany, Central European History, vol. 45 (2012), 268-305.
“The Party Does Indeed Fight Like a Man: The Construction of a Masculine Ideal in the German Communist Party during the Weimar Republic,” in Weimar Culture Revisited, John Williams, ed., New York: Palgrave, 2011.
“Mourning Comrades: Communist Funerary Rituals in Cologne during the Weimar Republic,” German Studies Review, vol. 32, no. 3 (October 2009), 537-548.
Dr. Sally H. Shedd
- Shedd, Sally H. and Leslie Atkins Durham. Theatre Lives. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing, 2009.
- Shedd, Sally H. "'There is No Keyhole on My Door': Musings on Visibility and the Power of the 'Unmarked' in The Children's Hour." Journal of Dramatic Theory and Criticism 21.2 (2007): 139-142.
Dr. Jennifer A. Slivka
Slivka, Jennifer A. "Irishness and Exile in Edna O'Brien's Wild Decembers and In the Forest." New Hibernia Review 17.1 (Spring 2013): 115-131.
Slivka, Jennifer A. “History and the ‘I’ Trapped in the Middle: Negotiating the Past in Roth's The Ghost Writer and The Plot Against America.” Philip Roth Studies 8.2 (Fall 2012): 127-144..
Slivka, Jennifer A. Review of James Joyce and the Revolt of Love: Marriage, Adultery, Desire by Janine Utell. NY: Palgrave Macmillan, 2010. English Literature in Transition, 1880-1920 55.1 (2012): 120-124.
Slivka, Jennifer A. Review of Wild Colonial Girl: Essays on Edna O’Brien. Eds. Lisa Colletta and Maureen O'Connor. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press, 2006. New Hibernia Review 12.1 (Spring 2008): 157-58.
Dr. Kathy S. Stolley
Stolley, Kathy S. and Stephanie Watson. 2012. Medical Tourism: A Reference Handbook. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio.
Stolley, Kathy S. 2011. “An On-Campus Homeless Shelter: The Sociological Imagination, Service-Learning, and Applied Sociology.” Theory in Action. 4 (2/April): 31-46.
Stolley, Kathy. 2011. "Personal Biography to Social Policy Implications of the Politics Surrounding Women’s Bodies. A Review of The Politics of Women's Bodies: Sexuality, Appearance, and Behavior,” 3rd ed., edited by Rose Weitz.” Sex Roles. 65 (7-8): 653-655. (Invited Review.)
Stolley, Kathy Shepherd. 2011. “Sheltering, Service-Learning, and Applying Sociology on Campus.” Sectionon Sociological Practice and Public Sociology Newsletter. Winter. American Sociological Association: 3-5.
Stolley, Kathy S. 2010. “Making an Interest in Adoption Matter.” Sociologists in Action. Kathleen Odell Korgen and Jonathan M. White, eds. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage: 235-239. (Invited item.)
Stolley, Kathy S. 2010. “Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire (1911).” Encyclopedia of Disaster Relief. K. Bradley Penuel and Mathew Statler, eds. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Reference: 692-693.
Stolley, Kathy S. and John E. Glass. 2009. HIV/AIDS. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
Stolley, Kathy. 2008. “Adoptive Parents.” Encyclopedia of the Life Course and Human Development. Vol. 1. Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA: 5-8.
Stolley, Kathy S., Diane E. Hotaling, and Felecia Kiser. 2008. “An On-Campus Homeless Shelter: A Case Study in Applied Sociology and Service-Learning.” Journal of Applied Social Science. 2 (2/Fall): 29-38.
Stolley, Kathy S. 2008. “Census.” International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, William A. Darity, Jr., ed. Vol. 1, 2nd ed. Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA: 476-477.
Stolley, Kathy S. and Vern L. Bullough, eds. 2006. The Praeger Handbook of Adoption, 2 volume set. Westport, CT: Praeger. (Includes authorship of 15 entries and sidebars listed below).
Stolley, Kathy. 2005. “Is Applied Sociology a New Idea?” Applied Sociology and Sociological Practice: Questions and Answers page of the Anne Arundel Community College Sociology and Geography Department Web Site. http://www.aacc.edu/socgeo/qakstollapsoc.cfm. (Invited item.)
Stolley, Kathy S. 2005. The Basics of Sociology. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
Hauser, William J., Kathryn Feltey, John E. Glass, AnnMarie Scarisbrick-Hauser, Kathy Stolley, and Stephen F. Steele. 2004. “Through the Looking Glass: An Identity Crisis in Sociology?” Journal of Applied Sociology/Sociological Practice. 21 (1/Spring)/6 (1/Spring): 51-58.
Stolley, Kathy S. 2002. “Opium.” Drugs and Controlled Substances: Information for Students. Stacey L. Blachford and Kristine Krapp, eds. Detroit: Gale Group: 363-373.
Stolley, Kathy S. 2001. Gale Encyclopedia of Alternative Medicine. Kristine Krapp and Jacqueline L.Longe, eds. Detroit: Gale Group. - Entries on "Cayce Health System," "Diamond Diet," "Iodine," "Iridology," "Osteopathy," “Trichomoniasis,” and “Vaginitis.”
Stolley, Kathy S. 2000-2001. Sociology at About.com: Regular features (2-4 per month) targeted to online audiences covering basic sociology and application of sociological perspectives to social issues.
Stolley, Kathy Shepherd and Maximiliane Szinovacz. 1997. "Caregiving Responsibilities and Child Spanking." Journal of Family Violence. 12 (1/March): 99-112.
Hall, Elaine J. and Kathy Shepherd Stolley. 1997. “A Historical Analysis of the Presentation of Abortion and Adoption in Marriage and Family Textbooks: 1950-1987.” Family Relations. 46 (1/January): 73-82.
Stolley, Kathy Shepherd and Archie E. Hill. 1996. "Presentations of the Elderly in Marriage and Family Textbooks." Family Relations. 43 (3/July): 267-273.
Stolley, Kathy Shepherd. 1993. "Statistics on Adoption in the United States." The Future of Children. 3 (1/Spring): 26-42. (Invited article.)
Bachrach, Christine A., Kathy Shepherd Stolley, and Kathryn A. London. 1992. "Relinquishment of Premarital Births: Evidence from National Survey Data." Family Planning Perspectives. 24 (1/January/February): 27-32, 48.
Ms. Sharon K. Swift
- Beachum, Sharon. Works selected for "Video Slide Show," Lyceum Theater Gallery, San Diego, 2006.
Ms. Vivian E. Teter
- Teter, Vivian. "Pietà: For All the World to See." Meet Virginia's Poets. Poetry Society of Virginia, 2 Feb. 2009. Web. 2 Jan. 2010.
- Teter, Vivian. Rev. of New Tracks, Night Falling by Jeanne Murray Walker. The Anglican Theological Review 91:4 (2009): 677-678. Print.
- Teter, Vivian. "Toward Ripening." The Anglican Theological Review 91.2 (2009): 298-99.
- Teter, Vivian. "Red-Winged Blackbird." Poetry East 66 (2009): 29. Print.
- Teter, Vivian. "All Your Thorns Torn Out Now: A Sequence of Six Poems." The Other Voices International Project. 7 Sept. 2008. 20 Dec. 2008. http://www.othervoicespoetry.org/vol36/teter/index.html. Note: Other Voices is listed in the journal section of the World Poetry Directory of UNESCO.
- Teter, Vivian. "21st-Century Q & A: A Sequence of Five Poems.” Journal for the Study of Peace and Conflict 2007-2008 Annual Edition: 84-91.
- Teter, Vivian. Translating a Bridge. In Edge by Edge, Volume 3 of The Quartet Series of Contemporary Poetry. Chappaqua, New York: Toadlily Press, 2007.
Pushcart Prize Nomination for "Tulip for a New Millennium" in Edge by Edge. Nominated by the editors of Toadlily Press, November 2007.
- Teter, Vivian. "Four More Reasons for Words." Poetry East. No. 60, Fall 2007.
- Teter, Vivian. "Tulip for a New Millennium." Text and Audio-Recording. Toadlily Press. 30 August 2007. http://www.toadlilypress.com/sampler.html.
- Teter, Vivian. "Across the Street All Autumn." The Spoon River Poetry Review. v.32, no. 1, Winter/Spring 2007.
- Teter, Vivian. "Love Poem to the Punctuation of This World." The Spoon River Poetry Review. v.32, no. 1, Winter/Spring 2007.
Pushcart Prize Nomination. Nominated by the editor of Spoon River Poetry Review, November 2007.
- Teter, Vivian. "every Spark is numbered." Poetry East. No. 58-59, Spring 2007.
- Teter, Vivian. "The Limits We Imagine." Jabberwock Review. v. 26, no. 1, Winter 2005.
- Teter, Vivian. "Hunger of No Tongue." Green Mountains Review. v.17, no. 2, Fall/Winter 2004.
- Teter, Vivian. "Tulip." Green Mountains Review. v.17, no. 2, Fall/Winter 2004.
- Teter, Vivian. "Last Dance." Green Mountains Review. v.17, no. 2, Fall/Winter 2004.
- Teter, Vivian. "Red-Winged Blackbird." Poetry East. v. 52, Spring 2004.
- Teter, Vivian. "Image and Action from Beginning Writing Students." Creative Writing/Creative Teaching: The 2003 AWP Pedagogy Papers. Washington, D.C.: Associated Writing Programs, 2003.
- Teter, Vivian. "Eliciting Substantial Student Feedback." Creative Writing/Creative Teaching: The 2003 AWP Pedagogy Papers. Washington, D.C.: Associated Writing Programs, 2003.
Dr. Victor R. Townsend, Jr.
- Burns, J. A., Hunter, R. K., and V. R. Townsend, Jr. 2007. Tree use by harvestmen (Arachnida: Opiliones) in the rainforests of Trinidad, W.I. Caribbean Journal of Science 43 (1).
- Hunter, R. K., Proud, D. N., Burns, J. A.,Tibbetts, J. A., and V. R. Townsend, Jr. 2007. Parental care in the neotropical harvestman Phareicranaus calcariferus (Opiliones, Laniatores, Cranaidae). Journal of Arachnology 35.
- D.N. Proud, V.R. Townsend, Jr, M.K. Moore, and P.M. Resslar. 2006. A potential new species of harvestmen. (Opiliones, Manaosbiidae) from Morne Bleu Ridge in the Northern Range of Trinidad, W.I. Southeastern Biology 53(2):280-281.
- Townsend, V.R. Jr., and M.K. Moore. 2005. Phrynohyas venulosa (Veined Treefrog). Predation. Herpetological Review 36(4):437.
- Moore, M.K., and V.R. Townsend, Jr. 2006. Mabuya bistriata (Trinidad skink). Reproduction. Herpetological Review 37(1): 89-90.
- Townsend, V. R. Jr., Mulholland, K. A., Bradford, J. O., Proud, D. N., and K. M. Parent. 2006. Seasonal variation in parasitism by erythraeid mites (Leptus sp.) upon the harvestman Leiobunum formosum (Opiliones, Sclerosomatidae). Journal of Arachnology 34 (2) 492-494.
- Rubbo, M. J., V. R. Townsend, S. D. Smyers, and R. G. Jaeger. 2003. An experimental assessment of invertebrate/vertebrate predation: the interaction between wolf spiders (Gladicosa pulchra) and terrestrial salamanders (Ambystoma maculatum). Journal of Zoology 261:1-5.
- Hazelton, S. R., Townsend, V. R. Jr., Richter, C., Ritter, M., Felgenhauer, B. E., and J. H. Spring. 2002. Morphology and ultrastructure of the Malpighian tubules of the common Chilean tarantula, (Araneae, Theraphosidae). Journal of Morphology 251:73-82.
Dr. Michael J. Trotta
2014 Benediction (SATB/Piano) Kjos
2014 Behold, How Good (SATB/unaccompanied) MorningStar
2014 What if you sleep? (3pt/piano) Carl Fischer
2014 Love Song (3pt-mixed/piano/violin) Carl Fischer
2014 Song of Myself (TB/piano) Carl Fischer
2014 In The Bleak Midwinter (SATB/strings/oboe) Colla Voce
2014 In The Bleak Midwinter (TTB/piano/oboe) Colla Voce
2014 In The Bleak Midwinter (SSA/piano/oboe) Colla Voce
2013 Prayer for Peace (SATB/unaccompanied) Morning Star Publications (MSM 50-8515)
2013 And Peace Shall Guard You (SATB/unaccompanied) Morning Star (MSM 50-8515)
2013 Blow, Blow Thou Winter Wind (SATB div/unaccomp) Walton
2013 Break of Day (SATB/piano/English horn or oboe) Carl Fischer Publications (CM-9296)
2013 Break of Day (SSA/piano/English horn or oboe) Carl Fischer Publications (CM-9280)
2013 Make Space for Life to Live (3pt-mixed/piano) Carl Fischer Publications (CM-9289)
2013 Make Space for Life to Live (TB/piano)Carl Fischer Publications (CM-9283)
2013 Make Space for Life to Live (SA/piano) Carl Fischer Publications (CM-9274)
2013 Walk Forth Securely (SATB/keyboard/oboe) Carl Fischer Publications (SCM-9)
2012 I Will Keep Still (SATB/unaccompanied) Alliance Music Publications AMP 0892
2012 When I Sing to Make You Dance (SATB/piano) Carl Fischer Publications (CM-9250)
2012 When I Sing to Make You Dance (SSA/piano) Carl Fischer Publications (CM-9266)
2012 All is Calm (SATB/unaccompanied) Kjos Publications
2012 I Shall See (SATB / unaccompanied) Morning Star Publications (MSM 50-8092)
2011 All Beautiful (SATB/piano) Colla Voce Publications (48-96650)
2010 Veni Creator Spiritus (SATB/unaccompanied) Published with GIA (G-7744)
2009 In The Bleak Midwinter (SATB/piano/oboe) Published with Colla Voce (#48-96680)
Dr. Zizhong Wang
- Z. Wang, et al. "Web graphics for the computation of invariant measures," Applied Mathematics and Computation, 187(2), 1442-1452, 2007.
- Z. Wang, et al. "Web graphics for the computation of invariant measures," Applied Mathematics and Computation, 187(2), 1442-1452, 2007.
- Ding, J. and Z. Wang. "Approximation Order Analysis for the Piecewise Linear Markov Method," Stochastic Analysis and Applications, 19, (6), 911-923, 2001.
- Z. John Wang et al., The Study of quasi Monte Carlo in the parallel computation of invariant measures, Proceedings of the International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications (PDPTA'06), Vol. 1, 427-430, CSREA Press, 2006.
- Ding, J. and Z. Wang. "Parallel Computation of Invariant Measures," Annals in Operations Research, 103, 283-290, 2001.
Dr. Craig Wansink
- Wansink, Craig. Regular publication of "Essays on Exegesis" In Lectionary Homiletics.
- Wansink, Craig. "Translation." The Encyclopedia of Religion, Communication, and Media. Ed. Daniel A. Stout. New York: Routledge, 2006.
- Wansink, Craig. "Papyrus." The Encyclopedia of Religion, Communication, and Media. Ed. Daniel A. Stout. New York: Routledge, 2006.
- Wansink, Craig. "Review of Rescue for the Dead: The Posthumous Salvation of Non-Christians in Early Christianity,” Journal of Early Christian Studies. 2003.
- Wansink, Craig. "Prisons." The Encyclopedia of Religious Freedom. Ed. Catharine Cookson. New York: Routledge, 2003.
- Wansink, Craig. "Roman Empire." The Encyclopedia of Religious Freedom. Ed. Catharine Cookson. New York: Routledge, 2003.
- Wansink, Craig. "Faith of Our Neighbors: World Religions in Hampton Roads." Religious/Freedom, Southern Style. Ed. C. Cookson. Norfolk: The Center for the Study of Religious Freedom, 2002.
- Wansink, Craig. "Review of St. Paul's Cosmic War Myth: A Military Version of the Gospel," Religious Studies Review. Fall, 2001.
- Wansink, Craig S. "Commentary on Paul's Letter to Philemon." The Oxford Bible Commentary. Eds. John Barton and John Muddiman. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001.
Dr. Josh A. Weinstein
- Weinstein, Josh A. “Marianne Moore’s Ecopoetic Architectonics.” ISLE: Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and Environment 17.2 (2010). 373-88.
- Weinstein, Josh A. Rev. of Teaching North American Environmental Literature, ed. Laird Christensen, Mark C. Long, and Fred Waage. The Journal of American Culture 32.2 (June 2009).
Dr. Robert C. Woods
(2012) Translation: Plato Laches
(2011) Text-book: An Introduction To Reasoning
(2011) Article: "Diagramming Objections To Independent Premises", Informal Logic 31.2
(2011) Translation: Plato Meno
(2011) Translation: Plato Republic Bks. 2-4 (excerpts)
(2011) Review: J. D. G. Evans, A Plato Primer, Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2011.01.17
(2010) Article: "As Happy As Can Be: How Republic's Philosophers Fare Best By Ruling", Journal of Ancient Philosophy 4.1
(2010) Translation: Plato Republic Bk. 1
(2009) Review article: "Scepticism About A Sceptical Aristotle", Polis 26.1
(2009) Article: "The Last Temptation of the Philosopher Ruler", Journal of Ancient Philosophy 3.1
(2008) Review: Susan D. Collins, Aristotle and the Rediscovery of Citizenship, Auslegung 29.2
(2006) Review: D. Brendan Nagle, The Household as the Foundation of Aristotle's Polis, Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2006.11.14
(2006) Review: Andres Rosler's Political Authority and Obligation in Aristotle, Polis 23.1